1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Processor Replacement

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lenny60, Mar 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lenny60

Lenny60 Thread Starter

I have, what might be considered, a stupid question. Background: While cleaning inside my pc, I attempted to remove the cooling fan from the top of the processor in order to clean between the fins. However, the processor came out of the motherboard along with the fan. After cleaning I thought that I reconnected the processor properly. I found out later that I bent some of the pins on the processor when plugging it back into the motherboard. One pin broke off and the processor is ruined. My question is, do I have to replace it with the same type processor, or is it possible to upgrade the processor without changing out the motherboard? If upgrade is possible, does the new processor effect anything else such as the bios? Or can I simply plug in the new processor and boot the system. My old processor is an AMD Phenom triple core processor. The ID # is HD8650WCJ3BGH manufactured in 2006. Thanks Lenny60

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

In order to help you, you need to post the exact motherboard you have installed. The brand and model# will be silkscreened on the board itself.

If this is a big box system ie dell, hp, whatever, post the exact make and model#

For future reference, here is how you remove a stuck hsf;

System OFF, release the cam lock and spring clips. If it will not lift off easily, then simply pw ON the system for a min or so. Now pw OFF and the hsf will lift right off. Clean all parts with 99% or 91% alcohol [do not use the 70% stuff you find in the supermarket] Once all parts are clean and dry, apply new thermal compound [a drop the size of a BB] and install the hsf. Connect the fan lead. Done.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    In all of the desktops that I've serviced, the cooling fan unit is either screwed into the processor heatsink unit or has retaining clips holding it in place.

It sounds like you removed the screws that secure the processor heatsink unit to the motherboard.

------------------------------------------------------------

4. trogdo

trogdo

You've got the x3 8650, top of the same line is the 8850 and the performance gain is about 5%. Do dig out the manual for the mobo or look up the specs online; if your motherboard supports quad core CPUs from that era, you may get a noticeable boost for little money if you choose to upgrade.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144940

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice