1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

processor running at 100 %

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by steve5000, Apr 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. steve5000

steve5000 Thread Starter

Hi guys, i have a toshiba sattelite 2ghz laptop, and recently had to reformat after a virus messed up all my .exe files. I didnt notice it happening before the reformat (though it may have been working up to it) but now when i turn on my system, when windows starts and basically whenever else it feels like it the processor is running at 100% for maby 5-10 minutes, and i cant even open up the start menu :( . The computer also turns off - as if someone pulled the battery - whenever it feels like about 4 times a day :mad: . Does this sound like my processor may be shot? :confused: Help! Please!

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. Either that or an overheating cpu. Did you check the temps?

3. CAPSLOCK

CAPSLOCK

What processes are running in the background.
    Use the processes tab on task manager to find out.
    Kill what is under your name aside from the Windows files (ie. explorer.exe).
    See what your temp. is in BIOS (usually F2 or Delete at boot up).
    It sounds like you have a software issue, not a hardware issue.
    If you can't figure it out do a system restore with your restore disks from your manufacturer or if you put a full version on yourself install XP and do a full format (not quick) to NTFS and don't save any files. The virus or malicious code may still be present. It is the safest and fastest way. I hope you've backed up your information prior to this.

4. CAPSLOCK

CAPSLOCK

Oh yeah...is there a count down when your computer shuts down?
    If so you have the Blaster or Nachi virus (or a similar one).

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Bios setup key may be F 1 as well, but there could be a HWSetup utility you can access from the desktop too.

6. dak507

dak507

Hi All,
    Had something similar on this corporate laptop (Dell Latitude) last month. Laptop started running slower and slower and finally would go dead about a half hour to 45 minutes after startup. Unit was getting hot and fan was running hard. Fought this for 5 days, before someone asked me to check the processes running and sure enough some update of McAfee's was hung up and set the laptop to run 99% on AV. Once a fix was applied, it went back to normal. Good Luck, Duane Koss/Kansas City (y)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224004

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice