1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Processor running at 800MHZ

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jonesy827, Apr 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jonesy827

jonesy827 Thread Starter

I have an alienware laptop in which I have the power plugged in and a 100% load on the CPU. No matter what, my processor runs at 800Mhz (its a pentium M 1.7ghz). I have contacted the seller of the laptop and they cannot provide support as they are idiots...

Screenshot:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Compiler

Compiler

You run that program while its on 100% load - that program above may only do snap shot - I dunno. It is normal for many of todays PCs and notebooks to run at lower Mhz when idle or doing little work.

Download CPU-Z. Its below in my SIG.

Someone at Alienware should be able to figure it out - what, they brought over Dell's tech support now?

3. jonesy827

jonesy827 Thread Starter

cpuz says 800 as well, and that shot was under max load (playing cs:s)

4. Compiler

Compiler

Ouch... That' ain't right.

I gather the unit is used... so no actual support of the product. Howabout Alienware Chat rooms, newsgroups or message boards?

5. win2kpro

win2kpro

Check and see if your processor has EIST. See if EIST is enabled on your machine. To check to see if EIST is enabled do the following;

Close all applications and ensure that Windows OS is in idle mode. (Pres Ctrl + Alt + Delete) and select the Performance tab. Verify that CPU usage is 0%.

Right click My Computer and select, “Properties.”

Under the General tab examine the installed processor and speed. If Enhanced Intel SpeedStep technology is enabled, two processor speeds will be listed. The first speed listed is the specified speed of the processor. The second speed is the current operating speed. The second speed will be less then the 1st speed. This indicates that Enhanced Intel SpeedStep technology has effectively lowered the processor voltage and core frequency, which can (depending on system usage and design) result in decreased average power consumption and decreased average heat production. If Enhanced Intel SpeedStep technology is off then both processor speeds will be equal.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/559066

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice