Processor running too hot

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DiabolicalSloth

Hello this is my first post here so please forgive me if I've done something wrong or messed up the ettiquete.

Windows 10
Procesor is a AMD FX 6200 Six Core which according to AMD should not be running much hotter than 70 degrees max. It is a few years old.
Shuts down when processor gets too hot (black screen no error message or any mention of it when rebooting).

Basically when my PC is running games after a while the processor tempterature will hit 80 degrees and my PC will force shut down. This problem existed before but I went into the BIOS to find that the processor had been overclocked by the manufacturer. I disabled this and the PC operated fine for a few months but the issue has recently come back. I have monitored the computer and it is definitely/almost certainly not a problem with:
- The graphics card
- The fans
- The power supply/ voltages
- The software running
- The thermal paste (probably) (I replaced this and it didn't make much difference but maybe I did a bad job -with it?)

I did not build the PC myself and am not an expert when it comes to this stuff. If possible please answer in as simple english as possible. If the solution is risky/ difficult then I'm willing to take it to a professional but I'd much rather save the money.

I guess you blew out the dust already, That CPU is rated at 125watts so you need a minimum 125 watt heat sink, a 150 watt rated would be better. What one is on it now? can you attach a picture? You can find tutorials on You-tube on how to install the heat sink and paste. Her is one but I haven't reviewed it.

managed

Allan
I would check the thermal paste and if it looks dried out remove it and replace with fresh paste.
A common mistake is to use too much paste, you only need enough to form a thin layer on top of the Cpu.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online