1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Processor seems stuck....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by iamcanadian4, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. iamcanadian4

iamcanadian4 Thread Starter

Hello,

I have noticed that my laptop (Inpiron 1520) has suddenly became incredibly slow. After hours of investigation, I noticed that CPU-z is showing that my processor is not running at max. Please see the following screenshot

[​IMG]

As you can see, the multiplier is always stuck at 3.0X, I have checked and my laptop is running at "high Performance". I also checked my BIOS, which is updated to the latest revision, and Speedstep is enabled. What is interesting is that when I turn off speedstep, which means that the laptop runs at lowest performance, CPU-z shows that the laptop is running at 1 Ghz at different multipliers > 4, which is still not my maximum speed.
    I do have the latest chipset drivers and I tried many things with no avail. I would highly appreciate any help...
    I'm not sure if it is a software or hardware related issue....

Thank you in advance.

Below are my computer specs:

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Slowness is almost never due to a processor, except when a mobile processor goes into an energy-saving mode. Since your CPU is rated at 2.2 GHz, it is not possible for multipliers greater than 4 unless the clock speed were lower than 2.2/4. And any software that provides data about these values can be mistaken, and often is.

You'd be better off checking the power options and the startups with HijackThis before assuming a processor problem. Any new processes that you haven't seen before? Any that are unneeded? Any infections (antivirus typically catches only 70% of threats)?

3. iamcanadian4

iamcanadian4 Thread Starter

Thanks for the replay
    - all my temperatures are at normal level
    - I am running my laptop from wall, no battery is attached to make sure the laptop is AC powered and Windows shows High performance
    - I've downloaded a software from Intel's website called Intel Process Identification Utilities and it shows the following info (inline with CPU-z info):

SCREENSHOT #1
    ================
    [​IMG]

SCREENSHOT #2
    ================
    [​IMG]

SCREENSHOT #3
    ================
    [​IMG]

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

What are your speeds set at in BIOS? Have any changes been made?

Check the details of your power options in Windows just to be sure that some setting is not off. If there is an additional power management module installed by the manufacturer, check that, too (or uninstall it. I really don't understand why these people install things like that, anyway, when Windows does a perfectly good jop. Same goes for networking components. It's just overhead that slows the machine and complicates repair.). If some setting like power saving mode is set to 1 minute of idle time, for example, then the machine will power down after only 1 minute.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917170

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice