1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Processor Speed Capped???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Skin1301, Apr 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Skin1301

Skin1301 Thread Starter

Hi,

I have just reinstalled XP, updated all my drivers which are now working perfectly but the problem is my processor is only running at 797mhz.

Could anyome shed any light or has anyone experianced this before?

Spec:
    Compaq Presario r3000 Notebook
    AMD Athlon 64 3400+
    512 MB

2. Ziggy587

Ziggy587

Where did you read the speed from? Was it 'system' under control panel? I've seen it read AMD processors wrong before. It reads my brother's at 991MHz but its really a 2.2GHz.

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

Go to that page and download the program (upper left). Its a real small program that doesn't even install. Unzip it and run it, it'll tell you your CPU speed. The great thing about this program is it runs in real time. It might read it around the same speed as Windows, but watch it, it'll read the correct speed for a second or two.

I don't know why AMD processors do this, maybe some one can offer some info on this. But I do know that its running at the right speed, even though its not being detected at it.

3. Jones

Jones

Most laptops have a feature built into them called 'speedstep' which automatically adjusts the speed of the processor based on the computer's state. When idling, it will slow down the processor to save battery power, then ramp back up when you start working. This can typically be disabled in the BIOS if you want to.

4. Skin1301

Skin1301 Thread Starter

Thanks alot for your quick responses.

CPU-Z says i'm running at 797.9mhz and I cant find any options in the bios to turn off anything relating to stepspeed.

Any other ideas?

5. Jones

Jones

Try opening a lot of programs at the same time, and see if your CPU speed increases at all.

6. Skin1301

Skin1301 Thread Starter

Windows media player, MSN, Messenger, IE, Fiefox and EVE have made no differance to the preocessor at all.
    CPU-Z also says the multiplyer is x4, is that normal?

7. Ziggy587

Ziggy587

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700009

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice