1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Processor speed vs hard drive speed

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by DCM1519, Jun 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DCM1519

DCM1519 Thread Starter

I am going to be buying a new computer in the near future and was wondering if backups, file copying, and defragging will speed up very much?

It seems like that at some point, the drives would not be able to keep up with the processor and faster processors would not be needed for many or even most applications.

I am using a 1 ghz Pentium 3 computer now and am going to get a new 3 ghz computer next.

Also, recently, I read an article about the new dual core Intel chips and that sounds like something that I would like but do not know if they are out yet, and if so, do not know what they are called.

2. Arcadion

Arcadion

The main point of having a faster processor is that it runs games smoother, compresses audio and video faster, and so on. These tasks are not particularly dependent on hard disk performance. Nearly all applications will benefit from a faster processor regardless of the speed of the hard disk.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

However, a faster disk sub-system in conjunction with that fast processor will really speed things up. I use a RAID-0 array on this system, a very nice boost in speed over individual disks.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Definitely use a hard drive that spins no slower than 7200 RPM.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!