1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Processor speed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by XPSM140, Dec 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. XPSM140

XPSM140 Thread Starter

I have a Dell XPSm140 laptop. It suddenly started running WAY slow. When I view the general "system" info in "Control Panel" my 2.13GHz processor is only running at 81MHz!!!! I was told that a BIOS update might have caused it so I took the CMOS battery out and let it reset...still only 81MHz:mad:

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    did you do a bios update at all ?
    in the bios what speed is the FSB set to frontside bus

3. XPSM140

XPSM140 Thread Starter

I did a BIOS update when the slowness started. I did reset the BIOS via CMOS bat. When I went through set-up menus at start up after the reset, the FSB shows 2.13Ghz and the processor shows 2.13Ghz

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    where are you seeing the speed

Start> Run {search bar in Vista/W7}> dxdiag

what does that report for cpu speed

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I am more inclined to think overheating rather than a bios update. Intels will throttle down if they get too hot. Post your temps here; note this should be after running the system for a while not right after pw ON.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029379

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice