1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Processor Speed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vikkyhacks, Aug 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vikkyhacks

vikkyhacks Thread Starter

A pentium 4 has a processing speed of 1.4GHz and a Pentium D (or) Core 2 Duo almost the same but has two processors which share the job making it a lot better than the old P4 ... My question is how do I know the processing speed of a multicore or a multiprocessor system ?????:confused::confused::confused::confused:

2. black-wolf

black-wolf

Not sure what you are trying to find out. Processing speed is only a small part of it. The architecture of the the CPU is most important. The architeture or design of the core duo is different than the P4, so you really can't compare them. AMD architecture is different than Intel's. Some CPU's run faster than others even if the processing speed is slower. Some CPU's have 6 cores and are not as fast as some with 4 cores. There is no simple answer to your question.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Processor speed is a poor measure of system speed. You can't make an equivalent between 2 processors being equal to some higher speed of a single one because that is not how they work. Dual processors also process differently.

A better measure of speed (though not perfect, either) is FLOPS (floating-point operations per second). That tells you more accurately exactly how much data is being crunched. There was an effort by manufacturers at one point to try to educate the consumer on the fact that processor speed was not a good measure of system speed. But people did not let it sink in and continued to ask about processor speed, so they pretty much gave up.

Sometimes, the best comparisons are practical ones in which a common program that you use is run on 2 machines and the relative speeds of completion of a task compared. That gives you a good, concrete feeling for how the machine would behave in use.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
  5. vikkyhacks

vikkyhacks Thread Starter

Many thanks for the reply but I really am confused !!! I need to buy an android phone to run Ubuntu inside (please don argue on running ubuntu on smartphone, just help me out with the processor stuff) and I need to find a compatible phone to do the job for me ... Practically speaking I really need to compare all the smartphones to get my job done ... The processor is the main component where the entire system depends on. How to I find the faster one, I have the following eg. to explain my trouble
    I have a device with 3GHz Dual processor and another 1.5 Quad Core processor .... Simple BLIND calculations tell me they are same .. but which one should I choose when I need to get a fast one ????

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

No, they're not the same. Comparing cell phones with desktop processors also doesn't help. If you want to discuss phones or mobile devices, post in the proper forum to avoid confusion and state your complete question instead of leaving us to guess.

As I posted in your other thread, the entire project certainly does not hing on raw processor clock speed. You need a phone that's rootable, then you need to actually root it and be able to go through the entire Ubuntu hacking process. Also, as far as I know, if you live in the US, you need to actually activate a phone with a voice and data plan in order to be able to use it.

You list your experience level as "Beginner", and you're looking to do something I would consider beyond advanced and which will require a fairly significant cost outlay and may not be successful. You looked at one video of someone hacking one phone. If you want to undertake a project like this, get involved in the XDA Developers community and discuss the best hardware for the project.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1063929

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice