processor up-grade?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

marcoux802

Hello,
I am currently upgrading the processor in my motherboard (UWAVE COMPAQ) also know as FIC AZ31 with sockit A. It has a switchable 100 mhz-133mhz fsb. I want to install a AMD Athlon thunderbird processor in it, and what I'm wanting to know is; what processor can I max out with? (OPN#)?

thanks, Dave

If it is a Compaq machine it has a Compaq bios which makes it very doubtful. Do you have settings in your bios that allow you to change multipliers? You might get lucky and it will pick it up but...............................?

marcoux802

Yes I know all about the BIOS, and it sucks, no access to multiplier!. I beleive with the North Bridge chipset in this motherboard, it will only allow me to upgrade to no more than a 1.1 GHz Athlon with a 100/200 Mgz FSB. I just wanted to see if anyone here had the same MOBO, and more than a 700 MGz Duron in it.

Dave

Triple6

Rob
Well the FIC AZ31 can go up to the Athlon 1.2 Ghz on the 200Mhz FSB. With the latest BIOS from Compaq you may also be able to go that high.

Yeah, Good luck though. Do you have the processor? If you do it wouldn't hurt to plug it in and see what happens. I mean they may have used the board for more than one machine, and if they did it might pick it up. It would be iffy but it might just work.

If not, you could always go back.

marcoux802

Yes, that's what the FIC site says it can go up to, 1.2 GHz-200FSB. No, I don't have the processer yet, I wanted to make sure I can do a 1.2 before I bid on one on Ebay. The puter is for a friend, and I know it accepts a 1.1 because I've tried it out of my desktop pc. I'll probably bid on a 1.1 just to be safe.
I'm writing this on my DELL, 5160,with 3.2 MGz Pentium w/Ht Technology,7200 rpm 60 gig HD,512 Ram, notebook, which I just love!!

Dave

Triple6

Rob
Well if the 1.1Ghz works then I would be tempted to say the 1.2Ghz will work as well, but thats not a guarantee.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online