1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

processor up-grade?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by marcoux802, Feb 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. marcoux802

marcoux802 Thread Starter

Hello,
    I am currently upgrading the processor in my motherboard (UWAVE COMPAQ) also know as FIC AZ31 with sockit A. It has a switchable 100 mhz-133mhz fsb. I want to install a AMD Athlon thunderbird processor in it, and what I'm wanting to know is; what processor can I max out with? (OPN#)?

thanks, Dave

2. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

If it is a Compaq machine it has a Compaq bios which makes it very doubtful. Do you have settings in your bios that allow you to change multipliers? You might get lucky and it will pick it up but...............................?

3. marcoux802

Yes I know all about the BIOS, and it sucks, no access to multiplier!. I beleive with the North Bridge chipset in this motherboard, it will only allow me to upgrade to no more than a 1.1 GHz Athlon with a 100/200 Mgz FSB. I just wanted to see if anyone here had the same MOBO, and more than a 700 MGz Duron in it.

Dave

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Well the FIC AZ31 can go up to the Athlon 1.2 Ghz on the 200Mhz FSB. With the latest BIOS from Compaq you may also be able to go that high.

5. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Yeah, Good luck though. Do you have the processor? If you do it wouldn't hurt to plug it in and see what happens. I mean they may have used the board for more than one machine, and if they did it might pick it up. It would be iffy but it might just work.

If not, you could always go back.

6. marcoux802

Yes, that's what the FIC site says it can go up to, 1.2 GHz-200FSB. No, I don't have the processer yet, I wanted to make sure I can do a 1.2 before I bid on one on Ebay. The puter is for a friend, and I know it accepts a 1.1 because I've tried it out of my desktop pc. I'll probably bid on a 1.1 just to be safe.
    I'm writing this on my DELL, 5160,with 3.2 MGz Pentium w/Ht Technology,7200 rpm 60 gig HD,512 Ram, notebook, which I just love!!

Dave

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Well if the 1.1Ghz works then I would be tempted to say the 1.2Ghz will work as well, but thats not a guarantee.

8. brite750

brite750

Ahhhh.....whats a 100mhz give or take.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!