1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

processor upgrade help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by placenamehere, Jul 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. placenamehere

placenamehere Thread Starter

Hi, this is my first post, so be gentle.
    I have an Acer Aspire 5532 with an AMD Athlon 64 processor TF-20 (1.6 GHz)
    I am trying to upgrade the cpu to a pentium 4 cpu with 2.26 GHz.

All i'm wondering is if this is actually an upgrade, and if so, is it an upgrade that my comp can handle. If it's not an upgrade or it doesn't work for my computer, would you have any suggestions.

Thanks a bunch in advance.

2. jamwaky

jamwaky

I googled your laptop and I had certain sites telling me that it wasn't upgradable and then this site http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Acer/Aspire_5532.html gives a list of possible processors.

I don't know if it is ACTUALLY upgradable though. I'll keep having a look around, but until I, or someone gets back to you, don't do anything.

3. jamwaky

jamwaky

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Intel and AMD processors use different sockets. I wouldn't think you can mix and match. Whether or not the processor can be upgraded at all depends on the physical construction of the system. Laptops are different, and they're not all made the same.

You'll probably only be able to upgrade to a slightly faster processor, and it might generate more heat and cause other issues. Laptop processors are generally not considered to be upgradeable. You're not going to be able to upgrade it in a way that would provide significant performance increases.

Any upgrade at all requires the entire chassis to be disassembled.

5. jamwaky

jamwaky

From the link I provided, and for $16, you can't go wrong

6. placenamehere

placenamehere Thread Starter

Thanks this was just the stuff i was looking for

7. jamwaky

jamwaky

Your welcome :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1006793

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice