1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Processor upgrade help!!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bloodybloke, Jun 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bloodybloke

bloodybloke Thread Starter

I am currently running a 500 mhz Athlon , the PC is about 4-5 years old & I’m looking at upgrading the processor.
    Not able to spend a great deal, probably around £60 - £80 ($120 approx). Have been reading a lot of reviews & was looking at the Athlon XP2500+ as a cheap solution, packing a 1.8ghz, this is fine for me. BUT, I read that if your motherboard is more than 3 years old you should, or may have to change it in order to upgrade???

Generally need some advice on upgrading please. What would be the max I could go up to? Should you switch from an Intel to an Athlon or vice versa? What things do I have to take into account? Don’t know anything about BIOS, clock speeds etc…
    HELP!!!

2. Sponsor

3. Plattertech

Plattertech

Your motherboard can only support up to a certain amount of processor frequence. If you look up your motherboards specs. It should tell you what it supports. Post the model number of your motherboard, so we can further assist you.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    why do you want to upgrade the processor:-
    post the PC specs?
    post what version of windows you have?
    you may find more memory would get better performance;
    theres a host of things that can be done to a PC to improve performace.

see some advice here http://forums.techguy.org/t239664

5. saikee

saikee

It is quite common to renew the CPU together with the motherboard. Many boards have a limited range for the CPUs (to handle the fast speed) and this information is stated in the mothercoard handbook as the first item of its specification.

6. bloodybloke

bloodybloke Thread Starter

Let’s say I was to buy a new case, motherboard & processor then.

Would that mean that some of my current hardware would also need to be changed? IE: RAM?
    Since I went on to Crucial.com & got the RAM which was “suited” to my current machine, surely it wouldn’t necessarily be suited to the “new” one?

How much more stuff would need to be changed / reinstalled? All my applications?

7. saikee

saikee

With a valid XP CD there is no need to re-install the system at all but you need to log onto MS web site to re-activate the XP. If that fails the web page will give you a toll-free telephone number to call. At such time you machine is still hooked to MS. They may or may not be asked you for the product key code and direct you to an automatic system where by a code is read out to you over the telephone for you to key into the hooked machine to effect the activation.

The newer motherboard, especially those for the AMD CPUs, can have various extra on-board peripherals, like USB2, 5-6 channels audio, firewire and Gigabit LAN which could concentrate at the keyboard/mouse panel. Your old casing is unlikely to be able to accommodate them, although the standard practice is for the mobo vender to provide you with a replaceable keyboard/mouse panel. The price of a Athlon 2400 is comparable to a top-notch mobo and the box itself cost about 30% to 40%.

Don't think AMD does Athlon 2500 but a 2400 could set you back £60. You can have a motherboard accepting 400Mhz DDR ram at £30 and a midi tower box is around the same price too. You get more peripherals with more expensive boards and better supports in the box if paying another £5 or £10. For example a cheaper box can have 250 or 300Watt power supply and front end USB ports only good for Ver 1.1 whereas an extra £10 get you a 400Watt, cables to transfer rear audio & USB sockets to the front and temperature displays for your CPU, video & motherboard.

DDR memories are standardised now on modern boards with an eccentrici notch cut out. If your ram chips fit physically then they can be reused.

With computer hardware you can change one item at a time but sticking with an old motherboard deprives you many of the new technolgies which are fairly affordable now.

8. NyahLevi

NyahLevi

Your probably going to have to change a number of things to match your new processor. To start with, the power suopply may not be right for a new mother board, as the new ones require additional power onnections for the board. I doubt the memory (ram) will work as one of the improvements in a new mother board is a faster bus and the ability to run faster ram modules. Your hard drive will be too hard and slow too. Every time I get into upgrading one of mine, I end up with almost all new parts, just the way of things in the computer biz. I recommend (if you end up building a mostly new one) to not try to get the fastest and the best, but stay a generation behind, you get 80-90% of the capacity at a greeatly reduced cost. The AMD 2400+ is a good processor to start with, I'm running a 2400+ and a 2800+ (just built) and have plenty of speed for what I'm doing. On a limited budget, I find a bigger hard drive, more ram, etc, a better investment than the fasted processor.
    Nyah Levi

9. doggard

doggard

Run Everest Home Edition and post your system specifications Im sure you will get plenty of advice on the best upgrade path to take.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/241232