1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Processor upgrade help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lavigne, Sep 29, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lavigne

lavigne Thread Starter

I have a choice to make and I'm unsure which way to go. I can get one of the following 3 upgrades:

1) 650 Mhz AMD Duron with an Abit board for $350.00 ($cdn)with my 300 celeron and board as a trade;

2) 700 Mhz AMD Duron with an Abit board for $400.00 (with trade);

3) 600 Celeron with a Houston Technologies Board with onboard sound, 56K modem, and a TNT2 32 Mb (shared memory) video card all built in (trading in my processor, board, modem, voodoo banshee 16mb video card) for $300.

All of these options are installed and taxes in.

I'm leaning towards the 700 since it'll be easier to add better parts as I go than the board with all the built in's. Also, the 600 only has a 66mhz bus and the 650 and 700 have 100mhz, I assume that will make a big difference in speed.?.?.?

Anyone care to offer an opinion? I need to know if the Duron is more desireable than the Celeron, and if I should stay away from built-in components.

Thanks!

[This message has been edited by lavigne (edited 09-29-2000).]

2. Sponsor

3. wedor

wedor

I just built a Duron system and I like it fine. "Built in" components are always questionable in my eyes, they hog resources( shared memory), are not always easily upgradable, and are best left in "budget" systems. I say if you can at all afford it, go with individual components.

4. RandyG

RandyG

I would stay away from built on components like video and sound. Sound isn't that bad, but most motherboards with integrated Video don't have an AGP slot, which limits any future upgrade of your video to PCI. The price differences are negligible, and you will realise much better performance out of the 700 Duron. Celeron being limited to 66 MHZ is also a strong factor. Last thing to keep in mind is how many PCI and ISA slots are avialble on each board, and whether there is an AGP slot for the video.

Enjoy! [​IMG]

5. lavigne

lavigne Thread Starter

I went to AMD's web site and checked out their info about the Duron. They have some comparisons of the 700 and 750 Duron vs. similar Pentium III and Celeron chips. Based on the benchmark tests (3DMark2000, etc.) the Duron seems to out perform the others by quite a bit. I guess that combined with the info in the 2 replies pretty much confirms my suspicion that I should go with the 700 Duron and the Abit board that has no built-ins.

If anyone else has an opinion, I'd be glad to hear it.

6. Bryan

Bryan Bryan

Definitely stay far far away from onboard anything except for sound. Sound seems to be ok the rest are nothing but junk. My next MB will have onboard sound that's all that will be onboard.

[This message has been edited by bhesson (edited 09-30-2000).]

7. tulsa

tulsa

I would get 650 Mhz AMD Duron with an Abit board for $350.00 ($cdn)with 300 celeron and board as a trade;

8. lavigne

lavigne Thread Starter

I thought about going with the 650, but for the extra $50.00, wouldn't going with the 700 be the way to go? I'm thinking that it might save me a couple of months in the long run before I have to upgrade again.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate the help.

9. tulsa

tulsa

If you think the 700 is the best route then go for it.

Good Luck

10. lavigne

lavigne Thread Starter

I just ordered the 700 Duron and new board. Thanks for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/33945