1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Processor upgrade HELP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hilton1234, Jan 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hilton1234

hilton1234 Thread Starter

Hi,

I am looking to upgrade my PC i was wondering if i could just get a new processor to replace my old one? or would i need a whole new mother board etc.

My PC is : 760GXK8MC mother Board AMD 754 Sempron, AMD Sempron 3000+ Processor 1.80GHz 1.5 GB ram.

Thanks,

Tom Hilton

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Socket 754 is outdated.
    You might want to look into a new motherboard,processor and
    upgrade to DDR2 memory.
    As far as AMD goes,i think the AM2 processors are the latest.

3. hilton1234

Hi, is it possible though? i mean i don't play and high spec games or anything, and i didn't really want to fork out on a whole new mother board if i could just up the processor abit? Cheers for your help so far though. Tom

4. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

I am not seeing anything better than a 3400+ in socket 754.
    That's not much of a boost.

5. gamerbyron

gamerbyron

Yeah, you wouldn't want to upgrade processor because you won't see any difference and also 754 is out of stock, correct me if I'm wrong. I would suggest you to move to Socket AM2.

6. hilton1234

Thanks for all your help. What kind of mother board would you recommend. I'm not really a hardcore gamer and not fussed about top spec graphics. i just would like a faster PC as this is running a bit slow. thanks again. Tom

7. hilton1234

Hey guys. Some one has offered to give me a 478 socket p4 mother board? is this any better than the one i have? Tom

8. gnuman

gnuman

No it is not the old P4 478 sockets are worse than the Socket 754 AMD processors. If you want an upgrade you can get an Intel Core 2 Duo E2xxx series pretty cheap with a cheap socket 775 motherboard.

9. Pwr2daPpl

Pwr2daPpl

E.g. Abit P35E is great value for money motherboard but you HAVE TO FLASH BIOS. Orignal bios is crap. Then get a dual core - anything from e6xxxx series or e8xxx series (==> 45nm, 6MB cache) Should be a great PC, but note you are effectively buying a new computer.
    (new boards come with PCIex and usually no AGP and SATA instead of PATA (you have PATA/IDE discs I guess, right?)

If you just want to upgrade what you have, you can get more RAM and faster harddrives.
    Reinstalling Windows also helps a lot with performance ;)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!