1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

processor upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vegetto4093, Mar 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vegetto4093

vegetto4093 Thread Starter

would it be better to get a single core processor at 3.2 ghz or a dual core ghz at 2.0? any thoughts and explanations will be appreciated.

2. black-wolf

black-wolf

That is a pretty vague question. It depends on what particular CPU's you are talking about and what you are using them for. Can you explain a little more in depth what you are trying to find out.

3. vegetto4093

Main goal is to get my playon media server running better. www.playon.tv

since the computer is running great without playon running, and I only want the upgrade for a single task, I figured the single core would do fine.

4. black-wolf

black-wolf

What are your plans, just a new CPU, new CPU/mobo. Intel vs AMD can make a difference here. What is in the computer now?

5. vegetto4093

I'm just upgrading the current CPU. The Compaq website only list Intel as compatible upgrades. I currently have Celeron 430. My plan is just to get the playon media server to run better.

6. black-wolf

black-wolf

What is the model # of your compaq?

7. vegetto4093

8. black-wolf

black-wolf

For that mobo the Dual Core (Conroe) E4400 is the fastest CPU, but I don't know what you are upgrading from. Most likely you are not going to see a difference anyway.

9. vegetto4093

i've made the decision to go with the e4400...but i cannot find anywhere the psu requirements for the processor. i've been to a few calculator websites, but i don't know everything they ask. i have a stock 250w psu. according to the compaq website, i can upgrade to this processor no problem...but i was just wanted to be sure. thanks.

10. black-wolf

black-wolf

If all you are doing is changing the CPU you don't need to upgrade your PSU.

11. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Have you maxed out the RAM to 2 GB?

I believe we discussed that in one of your other threads.

--------------------------------------------------------

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1044663

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice