1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Processor upgrade?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hrbrown, Dec 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hrbrown

Hrbrown Thread Starter

Im running win 10 on an old Toshiba Satellite model L775D-S5204. I currently have the AMD Quad-core A6-3400 Accelerated Processor with AMD Radeon HD 6520G Graphics 1.4Ghz base(2.3Ghz with AMD turbo core technology),4mb cache....
    My question is can I upgrade this to the AMD Quad-core A12-9800E 3.10 Ghz turbo 3.80Ghz with Radeon R7 Graphics without frying my motherboard?

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm guessing you made a typo and actually have a Toshiba Satellite L755D-S5204 laptop which originally came with these specs:
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.
    AMD A6-3400M APU 1.40 GHz processor
    AMD Radeon HD 6520G graphics
    4 GB DDR3-1333 RAM (expandable to 8 GB)

I'm not a hardware expert, but I doubt you can make the processor upgrade.
    Some of the others here who are can advise you further.

cpu1.JPG cpu2.JPG

-------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Hrbrown

Hrbrown Thread Starter

Yes, that is correct. I have upgraded it to the 8 GB of Ram already and it's also now running WIN 10. I did speak with a Toshiba rep this morning who said that the CPU could be upgraded, but that it would be more cost effective to just buy a new computer, which of course they are paid to say so she would not tell me what I could up grade it to...:/. If anyone know what I can upgrade it to I would much appreciate the advice. From what I have already learned in studying for the ComTIA exams it has to be within the AMD line and I believe in this case the A series as well, but beyond that I'm not sure of much else. I would love a six core computer but finding a new one for $500 I'm not sure is possible. If it is please point me in the right direction.

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm strictly an Intel user and have never been a user of AMD, so I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to AMD hardware.

The 2 AMD processors you mentioned have different sockets (FS1 versus AM4), so I doubt you can switch from one to the other.

Your laptop is at least 6 years old, so I would be very hesitant to invest a lot of money into it.

---------------------------------------------------------------

5. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    There is one option available you could try before buying a new laptop and it depends on whether you have enough interest in learning a non MS operating system
    A version of Puppy Linux ( like XenialPup ) would run faster on that old hardware than Win 10.
    It's free as are the apps you would want to put on it ( your Windows apps wouldn't normally work on a linux Platform)

But if you want/need to stay with Windows 10, a new more powerful computer is what you should be looking at.

I'm no Linux expert, but XenialPup is working out well for me.

You could try the LiveCD/DVD or Live USB flash drive versions ....with out having to uninstall your Win 10, so that if you didn't like Puppy, Win 10 is still there to use.

6. Hrbrown

Hrbrown Thread Starter

Yeah, this is a good point I have just been having such a hard time deciding what system to upgrade to... I love Toshiba but they are expensive and difficult to find in my area no stores here even carry them. Hp is my second choice only because I have owned and used them enough plus fixed a few so I know if something were to break I could repair it without the shop cost... Dell would be on the list only because it was the first computer I ever tore apart and put back together just for the purpose of learing to fix and repair computers its screen was broken when I got it to expirment on. I don't know anything about other products. Im open to new ides an learning experiences but I dont have a lot of patience with slow things...

7. Hrbrown

Hrbrown Thread Starter

I did like the i5 and i7s Ive worked on but only had them a short time

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Between 1997 and 2011, I bought and used nothing but brand new HP desktops.
    Between 2011 and 2018, I've bought and used nothing but refurbished Dell desktops.
    Besides saving me a lot of money and not coming with a bunch of useless trial/demo bloatware, I've been very happy with them.

I'm not much of a laptop user, so I can't recommend any particular brands/models to you.
    Depending on where you live, you may be able to find some good deals on refurbished brands/models.
    The Newegg and Amazon sites are a good place to start looking.

---------------------------------------------------------------

9. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Frank (flavallee) is correct, the A12-9800E is a Desktop Cpu that fits an AM4 socket, the A6-3400M is a Laptop Cpu for an FS1 socket.

The problem with laptop Cpu upgrades is even if a certain Cpu uses the same socket the laptop's Bios has to contain microcode for that Cpu or it will not work.
    If the maker has a range of models with better Cpus in the same motherboard then you can usually upgrade.
    It can be hard to get that information though, the maker would rather sell you another laptop !

With the above in mind this article explains the situation very well :- http://www.cpu-world.com/Sockets/Socket_FS1.html
    From that article the A8-3530MX is on Ebay.com for $36 :- https://www.ebay.com/itm/AM3530HLX4...h=item284898298b:g:RxsAAOSwNCtb2jM6:rk:4:pf:0
    Going by the Benchmarks here you would get about 25% better performance (assuming the benchmarks vary in line with the speed of the Cpu) :- https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/AMD-A6-3400M-APU-vs-AMD-A8-3530MX-APU/20vs34
    I think that Cpu will work in your laptop, whether it's worth the cost and effort is up to you.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1220034

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice