Status
Not open for further replies.

Processor Upgrade?

Solved 
347 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  flavallee 
#1 ·
Hello
This is my 1st post so bear with me.
Until about 3 days ago I was using my Lenovo Desktop IdeaCentre A10 - 520-221KU with Sky Go. It has stopped working and I contacted them and they have said following an upgrade my system does not have a powerful enough processor.

They have stated the minimum requirement is :-
Operating System: Windows 7 (with Aero theme enable), 8.1 or 10
Processor: Intel Core i3-8130U – or equivalent AMD
RAM: 4GB DDR3
Video Card: DirectX 11 compatible video card driver

My system has
Windows 10
Processor Intel (R) Pentium (R) CPU4415u @ 2.30 GHz
RAM 4.00GB
No mention of Video Card

My question is whether my system is still adequate? If not what can I do to make it compatible for a reasonable cost (other than buying a new Desktop)?

I don't really want to replace it as it is still adequate for my needs.

I am not technical but I'm not sure my Desktop can be upgraded as it is an all-in-one.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
You are not going to replace a 4th gen processor with an 8th gen processor; not going to happen.
Big box stuff ie dell, hp, lenovo, whatever is proprietary. That is the system is mfg to the seller's specs and NOT industry standard specs. For this reason upgrading a big box system is very often an exercise in futility.
I am not technical but I'm not sure my Desktop can be upgraded as it is an all-in-one.
While you can [generally] install more ram or a larger ssd/hard disk, that is really about the practical limit of upgrading big box stuff.
The above is just one of the many reasons why a custom build is a far better investment than a big box system from dell, hp, whatever.

#3 ·
You are not going to replace a 4th gen processor with an 8th gen processor; not going to happen.
Big box stuff ie dell, hp, lenovo, whatever is proprietary. That is the system is mfg to the seller's specs and NOT industry standard specs. For this reason upgrading a big box system is very often an exercise in futility.

While you can [generally] install more ram or a larger ssd/hard disk, that is really about the practical limit of upgrading big box stuff.
The above is just one of the many reasons why a custom build is a far better investment than a big box system from dell, hp, whatever.
Thank you for your response. What I suspected.

#5 ·
pearlyman:

I concur with crjdriver about you purchasing a refurbished Dell to replace what you have.
I've been purchasing nothing but refurbished Dell OptiPlex and Precision models since 2011.
Besides saving a lot of money, they don't come with all the useless bloat that brand new PC's do.

There's something else you should be aware of.
When you research PC system requirements for a particular game or app, do not focus only on "minimum" specs.
You should focus on "recommended" specs.

------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.