1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Processor Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cage72, Apr 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cage72

Cage72 Thread Starter

My system currently is comprised of and Intel D845WN MB and Intel P4 1.5 CPU. Is there a way i can upgrade to 2.4 - 2.5 without having to get a new MB..or are there Processors at those speeds that are 400 FSB? Thanks in Advance.

System Specs:

Intel D845WN P4 MotherBoard
    Intel 1.5 CPU
    640 SDRAM
    Windows XP Home Edition

2. Bvr01Fvr

Bvr01Fvr

Looks to me like you could install that if you want to. Check out the specs here. You can go as high as 2.6GHz.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I know the P4-2.4 comes in both 400 & 533 FSB. Of course, you also have to make sure you can get the proper package type in the speed you're interested in.

4. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Rule-of-thumb: If you cannot at least double the speed of the processor in an upgrade, the difference in performance is almost inperceptible.

Machines usually become sluggish due to an overloaded OS, meaning there are too many things that have been loaded since the machine was new. Removal of those programs usually does nothing to cure a sluggish machine. The lines those programs put into the registry and the files added to Windows, Windows\System and Windows\System32 folders are left behind on an uninstall.

If you delete your Windows and Program Files folders and reload the OS from scratch, you may see a dramatic jump in performance--more than one would see in a less-than-double-speed processor upgrade.

Of course, this might not be your situation. This is offered simply for your consideration.

5. Macaulay/D/P

Macaulay/D/P

Some useful info that you or other hobbyists might be interested in.

Sometimes its a better deal to consider upgrading your mobo instead of upgrading the cpu. Without the expensive memory or cpu, the price range % wise of mobos isn't that much compared to cost of computer. Would also have to consider what's available onboard, what pci boards you can still make use of, have to scrap? old memory, etc. If a new case is to be bought also, relatively % inexpensive, typically come with power supply and minimal # of fans. Might go to a recent FSB 400, 533, or 400/533 combo, put in minimal amount of memory and start off inexpensive cpu able to upgrade to recent P4 releases when prices drop.

The Celeron P4 1700 socket 478 are upgradeable on most mobos, bios supported, to the most recent celeron/FSB 400, of 2200. These same boards are typically upgradeable with P4's, FSB/400, to 2600; check first. Kinda hard to say how far Intel will support either in FSB/400; probably further as there are many out there, or untill FSB 533 takes off.

Only as a consideration after your own research, PowerLeap might be considered. Some of older mobos that support P4-celeron or P4's might not be upgradeable.

The PowerLeap PL-iP4 Socket 478 adapter takes the P4 1.4/1.5/1.6/1.7/1.8/1.9/2.0/2.2/2,26/2.4/2.53 to an upgrade Intel P4 3.06 w/hyperthreading FSB 533/400 (whatever the mobo can support) However, the cpu costs bucks, and for the hobbyist, might want to wait for lower cpu prices.

I myself am considering experimenting with such. In earlier days, an old 386 cpu/20Mhz was easily upgraded to 33Mz with an evergreen adapter and free benchmarking software.
    Some additional related info at:

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0xd1c368da2286d711abdc0090277a778c,00.htmlcated at:

6. Macaulay/D/P

Macaulay/D/P

Other factors in upgrading the mobo:

Sometimes for a given make and model of computer, the manufacturer over time has made two or more mobo upgrades possible. An upgrade mobo should be a simple matter of just replacing the mobo with original mobo. However, sometimes no upgrade is available, or the upgrade doesn't meet your requirements. If so, you must select a generic mobo made by one of a dozen or so manufacturers. There are inherent problems. The propietary CD disks that came with the original mobo/bios can no longer be used. The same or different OS must be purchased and installed, and the full version. I believe, however, that if you have the original CD's and product key that you can? at selected locations exchange it for an OEM version of the operating system. Another problem is in the PCI boards with the original computer, they might have propietary drivers, even if the boards were manufactured by a known third party, drivers only available from computer manufacturer. Possibly other nuisances that you might run into. One advantage of building own computer, everything is upgradeable; all the boards and hardware that you can purchase are built to a standard and should work.

7. gws226

gws226

If you have a P4 I wouldn't upgrade your mobo at this time. Just get the faster chip.

Why?
    Intel has P4s running at a faster bus speed now (800mhz) as oppossed to the 400/533 speeds. The 533 speed processors will be stopping at 3.2gmhz. So unless you upgrade your motherboard to a 800 speed bus you are effectively capping the maximum speed of your processor at 3.2gmhz.
    All this sounds like making I'm making a case to get the new mobo? Well, no. Its the new kid on the block(800 bus) and the prices are out of portion with the rest of the mother board market.

If you feel you need the upgrade today... then just get the processor. Upgrading to a 2.6 400 bus (I didn't think the 400bus went that high!) is basically making your machine as fast as whats rolling off the production line today. Your next upgrade down the road will likely be the motherboard and processor.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/129580

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice