1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Processor upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Delta869, Jul 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Delta869

Delta869 Thread Starter

I'm wanting to upgrade my processor but am not sure what my motherboard and power supply can handle. I have an old Gateway model E-4200. The power supply is 250 watts. Currently running a 600mhz Genuine Intell processor. What would be the largest Genuine Intell processor I could upgrade to without replacing the motherboard or power supply? Are there any other components I should consider in this upgrade? Thank You

2. Sponsor

3. WarC

WarC

Your board has a Slot 1 processor socket...It should be able to accept all Slot 1 Pentium 2's and Pentium III's...The latter half of the Pentium III line is PGA Socket 370. That will not fit into your system, so make sure your getting a Slot 1 processor if you choose to buy one.

www.pricewatch.com should have what your looking for, www.ebay.com is good for old computer hardware on the cheap as well.

EDIT: You should look at building a new system instead of upgrading the one you have.

4. Delta869

Delta869 Thread Starter

What I'm concerned about as well is how fast (mhz wise) will my system upgrade to?

I would like very much to build my own system however, I'm not too knowledgable on the items mentioned in my previous post.

Thanks again

5. 4steve44

4steve44

Hello Delta and welcome to the best tech help site on the web. Glad to hear that you are thinking about building your first PC. My first build was a couple of months ago. I had a blast. I had access to someold machines that I tore apart to see what the guts looked like. And did alot of research. There is a site look here http://www.buildeasypc.com/ That will be real useful when it comes time to build. If you have ant question or problems(PC related ) come back here and you will get the best of advice :D

6. rockinmale

rockinmale

The first question i would ask anyone is what do you on your pc?

If your just using it to surf the web and check email and run applications. The speed you currently have is just fine. Now if you want to crunch numbers and go for performance and speed including games. Now your talking an upgrade. In terms of what you have now by today's standards its a pretty slow pc. In trying to upgrade this pc would be a waste of money that could be put toward a custom built pc. As 4steve44 stated its not that difficult to build a pc. Of course you may run into problems, but well be here to help you through those tuff times. Plus on top of all that you can say.....I made this!

7. Delta869

Delta869 Thread Starter

I was using my SiSoftware Sandra and it gave me the highest processor upgrade to a 1.2gig, J4J1 Socket/Slot & Slot 1 Upgrade Interface.

This sound right?

Now, where to find one..........

Thanks for all the help and advice !!

8. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/255349