1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Processor upgrade ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 2steps, Oct 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 2steps

2steps Thread Starter

I recently put a new much larger harddrive in my pc (went from 20gb to 120gb) that is working fine, windows all installed and ok but sometimes programs are slow, especially games and dvds jump and the sound is stuttery. I have all the same programs running as before and scan disk, disfrag, spyware and virus scans make no difference.
    As the pc was fine before I am guessing this problem is down to the new drive using more resources ? I do not want to lessen the harddrive size because a: its a pain having to keep stuff on disks thats why I got such a large drive. b: I can't afford it so what would be the best thing to do? Would upgrading the processor help or am I on completely the wrong track? I currently have a 1.1 GHz AMD Althlon, Would a 1.6GHz make enough difference? and does the new processor have to be an AMD?

Many thanks

Claire

2. Sponsor

3. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Nope, you should not need to upgrade anything becuase you have a larger drive - at least hardware wise.

What operating system, motherboard, video, sound card do you have?

You probably need to install some drivers to enable DMA on the hard drive and maybe update some other drivers as well.

Also, is the drive being recognised as being 120GB?

4. 2steps

2steps Thread Starter

The drive is being reconised as 120 gb. I am running windows me, I believe the sound card is onboard and the graphics cards is a nivida one. not sure about the motherboard.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Windows ME by default does not enable DMA on the hard drives which improves the transfer speed and CPU load. The easiest way is to download the latest Chipser or IDE drivers, which also improve performance in other ways.

Download Everest: http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang=en&pageid=3 or if the comter is a brand name like a Compaq then post the computer's model number.

6. 2steps

2steps Thread Starter

pc is a hp pavilion 7880

7. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Ok, your computer uses a VIA chipset. You should download and install the latest VIA chipset drivers which will enable DMA for all drives.

VIA Hyperion 4-in1 Driver version 4.53: http://www.viaarena.com/Default.aspx?PageID=2

8. 2steps

2steps Thread Starter

thanks, I'll do that now

If you have the time, do you think you could tell me why that'll work and how? just like to know

9. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Here's a really quick and basic explanation. DMA when enabled always the hard drive to do data transfers without the CPU having to intervene. This always the CPU to do something at while the hard drive is doing its thing. A CPU can only do one thing at a time - it switches between taks to make you think its doing more then one thing at a time, hence if a device is able to do something without CPU intervention its helps system performance. You also get better transfer speeds. While your drive is running in PIO mode it can do something like 16MB/s transfer speeds; with DMA you get 33 or 66 or 100 or 133MB/s theoretical speeds. This results in better perfromance. The VIA chipset drivers contain several drivers, IDE and AGP amoung them. These drivers replace the older drivers already proveided in Windows with ones that fix issues and increase performance since the intial release. The AGP driver is required by all Video cards and the latest one improves performance as well.

The VIA driver may not be the solution but it is a requirement for boards running on VIA chipsets.

10. 2steps

2steps Thread Starter

Thankyou and it did fix it :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/283387