1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Processor upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Yanksguy, Dec 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Yanksguy

Yanksguy Thread Starter

Here's the deal:

I have a Compaq Presario 7200 running a AMD Athlon Thunderbird processor at 1000 mghz. It's old and slow (for what I do; games, movies, music, internet, some wp :( ) and I'd like to replace it with something faster.

What should I do? I've read that the Sempron might be the way to go, but that the AMD xp is good also. Can you guys debate the pros and cons here and I'll pick one?

Also, can I even do this? :confused: What else would I need to do besides yank out the processor and slap in a new one? Can anyone answer that or point me in the right direction?

Thanks folks,
    Pete (y)
    TSG Rocks!!!

2. Sponsor

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

First thing you need to do is find out what processors your mainboard and BIOS support. That will narrow it down some.

Look at the specs on the board. If it can't support the higher bus speeds needed for faster processors, it won't appreciably speed up your machine to even get a faster processor---there are a lot of factors that determine speed, the processor actually being only one of the minor ones. If your machine can't transfer the data as fast as the processor puts it out, it will do things at the same speed it does now.

One of the slowest components in a machine is the hard drive. See what speeds you have there as far as seek time and whether it supports ATA-100, 133, or what. Drives are often the choke-point when it comes to speed.

What kind of memory do you have? If it is slower memory (PC100), then a faster processor will make little difference.

Let's start by finding out what processors are possible and look at the specs of the entire machine.

4. Yanksguy

Yanksguy Thread Starter

Thanks for getting back to me, and sorry it's taken me so long to reply. Busy holidays...

The mb has the following tag on it: KQS1602718 QUIK-SILVER, and under that another tag that says: Replace with Compaq Spare SPS/BD SYS K7 W/THERMAL PAD Spare No:227954-002 Part No:207610-101. The processor is an AMD Athlon A1000AMT3C; with the following also on it: ARGAO125UPFW 96503630080, manufactured in 1999. It is a Socket 462.

I have two sticks of 256mb ram in it; DDR 266MHz, a 40gb 7200 hd and another 60 gb hd. It has a 300W power supply.

I've replaced hd's, ram, power supplies, sound, video, and graphics boards before but never a processor or a mb, so I'm not really sure what to do here. Where do I go to figure out whether I can or cannot replace the processor and mb, and where do I find a replacement? Further, is this going to mess with my graphics (Nvidia gforce 2mx G06664.1 0111A2)?

Thanks tons for your help.
    Pete

5. brite750

brite750

Down load and run Everest Home a system information software, I cant find anything on info provided thus far, we need to know the motherboard to find what cpuz it supports, doing search with that info comes up with nothing

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Its a Compaq; chances are it doesn't support much in terms of CPU upgrades. And unlikely any Sempron CPU; which requires PC333 RAM if I'm not mistaken.

You also mention games. Depending on what games the Geforce2 isn't going to cut it for modern games.

I checked the Compaq site and it has several computers that your might be; try going to their site and finding yours and posting the link; that'll help with some info.

7. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Yup, Locked bios. Need to get a mobo or anything you put in it is going to run at the same speed you have, if at all.:(

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!