1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Processor Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by platinum1, Mar 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. platinum1

platinum1 Thread Starter

Can I upgrade the processor speed of my Acer Aspire 6360S. I've got 256K RAM and am running Windows XP

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Seems to be an older system, why were thinking of upgrading from and upgrading to? If its a Celeron 500Mhz as Googling seems to be suggesting then you need to consider saving up for a much more modern system.

256MB of RAM is the minimum for running Windows XP these days, 512MB or more is now recommended.

3. happyrck

happyrck

triple6 is right..dont waste money on the system..start saving for new computer...500mhz compared the new systems clocking almost 5 Ghz...

4. KingCody

KingCody

if I'm not mistaking... a 500MHz celeron would be from the P3 days. If it is possible to upgrade that CPU, the best you could get is around a 1GHz pentium 3 (I doubt that you could even go that high), which isn't capable of doing much more than what you have now.

how much money were you prepared to spend on the CPU upgrade? give us a budget, and we may be able to suggest an affordable upgrade for you

5. almightybob7

almightybob7

I have an 800MHz Celeron that is from the P3 days (Socket 370).I overclocked it to 1.06 GHz (133MHz bus speeds) and that is getting a little old for me now. If I remember correctly, my Celeron is 500MHz at 66MHz bus speeds, so you would be able to almost double it if you overclocked your CPU. I was looking for a P3 to upgrade to, and I found some that are 1.4 GHz, but that's the highest clock speed I could find. That would only prolong the life of that computer a little bit, so you would definitely be better off saving up for a new system.

NOTE: You should only overclock your CPU if you know what you're doing and if you have enough air circulating through you case to keep your CPU cool. You can blow your CPU by overclocking, so you should only do it if you can cool it enough. I won't be responsible for any damage caused by overclocking. You probably shouldn't do it, and I used it only as an example.

6. happyrck

happyrck

you WILL have to check and see the fastest CPU that your motherboar supports

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/452202

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice