processor upgrade

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

fenderjaguar

hi.

i've got a dell dimension 4100 with an Intel 815E motherboard thingy. it has a 1000mhz P3 processor at the moment. i was reading a site that said it could take any P3 processor. could i upgrade to the "P3 TUALATIN 1.4ghz" processor?

thanks

Robert Hancock said:
You should be able to use any FC-PGA Coppermine Pentium III CPU in these systems (or likely a PPGA or FC-PGA Celeron - but why??) The newer Tualatin CPUs (1.13 GHz and up) will not work on these machines because of the different core voltages and bus signaling levels

fenderjaguar

ah damb. i feel stupid, because that was the article i read. i can't believe i missed that. well anyway, thanks mate

Hi, I was also considering upgrading a Dell Dimension 4100 P3 933Mhz to a 1.4Ghz processor
here is the link to the processor:
http://www.starmicro.net/detail.aspx?ID=464

the link says nothing about it being a Tualatin CPU. Will this upgrade work?
I couldn't find any voltage comparisons or bus signaling levels, not that I would know one if I saw it.

also if it will work, do I need to buy a special tool to remove the old chip, and install the new one, and can I use the same heat sink or do I need to buy a new one.

thanks for helping a newbie

dain

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online