1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Processor upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pull, Nov 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pull

pull Thread Starter

I nned to know if I can upgrade my AMD-6000 processer to a AMD-6400 without having to reload the OS. I am not changing the MOB and assumed that I could just swap the processors.
    Thanks in advance for your help with my question.
    Pull

2. Sponsor

3. brite750

brite750

if your MB can run it you dont need to reinstall the OS

4. Waldo_II

Waldo_II

Yes, you can. I wouldn't recommend it, though. The Athlon 6400+ is exactly like your Athlon 6000+, only the speed has been increased another 200Mhz. It would be much cheaper for you to overclock your 6000+ to 3.2Ghz. Even so, the performance increase would be marginal.

If you plan on getting a new CPU, spend the extra money and go for a AMD Phenom 9700. It may be a bit hard to get your hands on one.

5. brite750

brite750

yeah no doubt it somewhat of a silly upgrade, but its your money

6. pull

pull Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses!
    Pull

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/654483