1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Processor Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by calibretto, Aug 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. calibretto

calibretto Thread Starter

I have a Sony Vaio VGN-S480 and I'd like to upgrade the processor in hopes to get better performance from my machine. My question is this: If I upgrade the processor will I need to upgrade the system board as well? Will my current board support a faster processor? Is this even a possibility? I've had the computer for about three years now, but it's still a good computer. I'd just like to step it up a notch or two.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice offered!

calibretto

2. panicrooster

panicrooster Banned

Don't quote me but I think you have the highest and last pent M made in that which is a P-M 770 and I believe most of the later models then went to dual core. The board that is on is probably the 915 chipset and I think 479 socket. Could be wrong. I have a Vaio VGN FS790 and I think it's a Pent M 740. Bottom line is you can't use a different processor for that socket with that motherboard and would have to replace to do so. Honestly it's not worth the money or time to do so because then youa re talking about buying a new cpu and board at retail plus the cost of having this done unluess you can and might as well just buy a new notebook for a little more and have two that work good.

3. calibretto

calibretto Thread Starter

I don't really want to purchase a new machine at all. I'm just tired of the lag. If I have something like a video playing, it's almost impossible to even think about opening my web browser. If there's another way I can go about fixing that problem, I'm up for it. I suppose I could just drop some more memory in, but I'm afraid the motherboard won't support it and I'll end up frying it. That's no fun for anyone.

As I said in my first post, my computer is still fine. And it still runs exceptionally as long as I only run smaller programs. But once I open my media player to watch a video or turn on the web cam, it's all over for the rest of my running programs.

Installation is not a big deal either. I can install the board and processor if I had it. I'm just not sure what I'm looking for.

calibretto

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You won't be able to replace the motherboard with anything that would significantly improve performance, and the cost definitely isn't worth it. According to Crucial, the system supports 2GB of RAM. This would only cost $40. That might be a worthwhile upgrade.

5. panicrooster

panicrooster Banned

Calibretto, overall that isn't a bad notebook. One thing I do know is most problems people have with their pc's performance lies within the software installed and the users actions. I deal with a lot of pc's that I have to fix and get quad-cores that run like a Pentium 3 or worse. There are also many programs and services running in the background that you don't even realize, or most people don't. If it were my pc I'd go into services and turn many things from auto to manual but don't do this unless you really know what you're doing. Remove most of your startup menu for only what you need. You could also start the notebook in "selective startup" using run/msconfig/services/ ..check the box to "hide all Microsoft services" then disable anything not related to your security/antivirus or vital software like anything that's named Nvidia is a good sign of vital. One program you may find useful is Ashampoo Winoptimizer and safely cleans the system and advises on some simple things to improve the speed. Bottom line is.. you could have 4 cores but if your system isn't optimized and you have 30 things running at once in the background, it will always be gasping for air whether it's one core or 4. Keep it as is until you feel highly compelled to buy a new one and wait for the prices to get even lower on the nicer Core 2's.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!