1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

processor upgrade?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wendlle, Jan 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wendlle

wendlle Thread Starter

I recently aquired a pretty old PC it is running on 668mhz has 160MB ram and a 10gb hdd.

The ram and HDD I can upgrade easily but how do I replace a processor?? Is this easy? I took a look on google but not a lot came up and certainly nothing with pictures.

I want to get this PC running for my sister who wants one for her son (he is 7) to play on.

Anyone know of anywhere that has step-by-step instructions on doing this type of thing??

2. Sponsor

3. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

Throw it in the trash. It's too old to be reliable, and it won't run any decent software. I buy some used systems from Compucycle. Their products are reliable and well-supported. If you don't see anything you like on their web pages, call them.

4. wendlle

wendlle Thread Starter

All that aside i'd still really like to know how it is done.

5. prunejuice

prunejuice

Depends on the motherboard in the computer and what reasonable expectation you have for running software.

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

There's really nothing to be gained by upgrading the processor on a computer that old. It won't make enough difference to justify the cost and effort. What does your sister want her son to be able to do on a computer? Even with more memory (and that might not be worth the cost), Windows XP would be the most recent Windows OS that would work. Otherwise, the only other option is a light-weight Linux distribution.

7. win2kpro

win2kpro

What you have to look at is adding memory, adding a larger hard drive and buying an operating system (Used retail). You can do better with one of these Dell Optiplex Off-lease machines. The market is flooded with these machine right now, most with XP Pro many for just a few $ more than you would pay for an OEM copy of XP Pro.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!