1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

processor upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by louvas, May 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. louvas

louvas Thread Starter

I have purchased a amd athalon 64x2 5600 processor and installed it in place of a 4400 ,which manufacturer of board says it will work.I booted it up and it says it is an un supported processor,then it shuts down is this a bios issue .How do I upgrade bios.mcp61pm-hm rev:i.ob up to 5600+ up to 89 watts

2. Sponsor

3. p3qs008

p3qs008

Does your 4400 CPU still work? I'd reinstall it, update to the latest BIOS, and then reinstall your 5600.

Is this an ECS branded board or an HP ECS board?

4. louvas

louvas Thread Starter

it still works fine with old processor,it is a pci express motherboard,where would I get bios update I have never done one ,Lou

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You get the BIOS upgrade from the motherboard manufacturer.

6. p3qs008

p3qs008

7. louvas

louvas Thread Starter

I am glad to see all the helpfull people out there. I have to try the bios update, thank you all for the help louvas

8. win2kpro

win2kpro

As p3qs008 stated in post #5 if the board is installed in your Presario model SR5613WM you should use the BIOS update from HP. If it is an OEM board use the BIOS update from ECS.

9. louvas

louvas Thread Starter

I have tried updating bios ,it did not make a difference,it works fine with 4400+,when I install 5600+,it says unsupported pcu installed, and shuts down immediatly

10. win2kpro

win2kpro

A BIOS revision that may work for an OEM board may not work for the same OEM board made proprietary for a system builder such as HP because the board made for the system builder has a different BIOS.

HP and other "mass producers" want their machines to have limited upgradeability so they can try to sell a new product.

11. louvas

louvas Thread Starter

Thank you for the insight,it makes sense.

12. win2kpro

win2kpro

You're welcome. We see this type scenario quite often.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/924273