1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Processor Upgrade ???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mykidsdaddy, Jan 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mykidsdaddy

mykidsdaddy Thread Starter

I started out thinking I needed more RAM and now I'm looking at swappin' CPU's. I am currently running a single core AMD Athelon.
    There are a bunch of different CPUs that will work with my MOBO. I have an AM2+ socket and here are the processors I have to choose from.

•AMD Phenom II Quad-Core
    •AMD Phenom II Triple-Core
    •AMD Phenom Quad-Core (A) 9xxx series (AM2+)
    •AMD Phenom Triple-Core (T) 8xxx series (AM2+)
    •AMD Athlon X4
    •AMD Athlon X3
    •AMD Athlon X2 (B) (AM2+)

Is there a major difference in the Phenom and Athelon??? The "Black" series???
    I went to Newegg and found only 3 different CPUs to choose from. Tiger Direct has about 15. am on a budget so I can't just pick the most expensive and figure I am getting what's best. So...I am looking for input!
    I love this place!!!:D;)(y)

2. FijiJohn

FijiJohn

There are several good sites that let you compare CPUs,such as Tom's Hardware and Anandtech. What a "good" CPU is depends on what you want to do with it. If you are not doing things that can use multiple cores, they only add cost, not performance. Blacks have the CPU multiplier unlocked, if you want to play with overclocking.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

It is rarely economical to upgrade a processor. the increase in speed, if any, will be much less than you expect since the CPU is only partially responsible for machine speed. You would be better off, and in the long run probably spend the same amount, if you upgraded your whole board or system. Bare-bones kits provide the main parts and the rest can be moved from your present machine.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977795

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice