1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

processor uprade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rangen02, Aug 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rangen02

Rangen02 Thread Starter

i am interested in upgrading my processor from a p4 1.3 ghz to a p4 2.6 ghz. is this a possible upgrade w/ out buying a new motherboard and a bunch of new additional hardware or will i be able to basically replace the old one..thankx

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Most boards will not support processors twice the speed of what they were originally equipped with. You will have to check your board manufacturer's specifications for that information to be sure.

3. gws226

gws226

Your P4 is the older 423 pin style processor. Todays processors (including your 2.6 dreamer) are 478 pin and won't even fit on the board... sorry.

I believe they made the 423 pin processors upto 1.9 (maybe 2.0.) Not sure if that is a worthwhile investment (eventhough I can happily say my 2.0 runs everything without issue)

If your still considering the upgrade... Get your motherboards make and model, hit up the manufacture website and confirm the maximum speed it supports.

G

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/152389

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice