1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Processor Woes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Uaniminai, Apr 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uaniminai

Uaniminai Thread Starter

Well, I accidentally damaged my 2.26 GHz processor while cleaning my heat sink (a pin broke off. Clumsiness.) and then when I started my computer, it wouldn't give me a boot beep. I figured if I just replaced my processor, I'd be fine. I ordered a new 3.0 GHz from Newegg with hyper threading. My friend assured me that it would work even if my two-year-old motherboard didn't support hyperthreading. The processor arrived, I plugged it in carefully, and it still doesn't start up. Is my motherboard fried? I can't even seem to get to my BIOS. Could the HT be stopping it? Any advice would be much appreciated.

My new processor is this one
    CPU P4/3.0EGHz 800M 478P/1MB HT RT
    (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-116-171&depa=0)

and my motherboard is one from a CyberPowerPC Intel system 2 years ago.

I'll check that and update this thread

Thanks,
    Uaniminai

2. angel

angel

what model MB?

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The 3.0 Ghz P4 needs a 800Mhz FSB capable motherboard to work, have never tried one on a non HT board but it might not even POST and this one's a Prescott. Depending on the motherboard you have you may be able to get the 3.2Ghz 533Mhz P4 with HT but only if it is supported - you would have to check the manufacturers website for BIOS updates and CPU support.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/219130

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice