1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

processor wrong speed after xp sp2 upgrade...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by marcusya, Jan 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. marcusya

marcusya Thread Starter

hi everyone,
    the processor speed is wrong when i check it under my computer>properties
    here's what happened,
    my laptop: dell inspiron 2500, intel celeron~800 something mhz, xp home
    girlfriends laptop: compaq, amd~900 something mhz, xp pro sp2
    i upgraded my laptop from xp home to xp pro sp2 using girlfriends cd. it went fine. when i checked the properties of my computer it showed that my processor speed is only 440 mhz, the cd had a label saying "for compaq pc only", i know i shouldn't be using her cd but since she's my girlfriend i think that's ok, and its not like i'm giving it off to anybody. my laptop is the only one that used that cd, it wasn't even open when i used it. should i try and reinstall windows using my own cd? or is there a way to work this out without reinstalling again. Thanks for your time reading this, and sorry if its lengthy.

2. pronute

pronute

Still what you did is illegal.

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

As mentioned above, it's illegal. Doesn't matter whether it's your girlfriend or grandmother.

The reason it wasn't even opened is because Compaq, like Dell, pre-installs the operating system.

Definitely reinstall YOUR operating system from YOUR cd.

4. winbob

winbob

My understanding of Proprietary installation and restore disks from companies like Compaq are that they contain Hardware information that ties them to the machine that they are paired with.

Sometimes that check the hardware to see if they are being used on the approp machine before they run.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323936

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice