1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Producing a routemap of a drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by biglebufski, Apr 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. biglebufski

biglebufski Thread Starter

Hi
    I'm trying to produce a routemap of a server at work showing all of the folders and the files contained within them. We need to cut back some deadwood reorganise some of the files more clearly.
    Is there anyway to display this information without just typing it out?

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

There are several utility programs that will let you sort the drive by directory size. One I've used is called TreeSize. Not a recommendation but just one I've used.

Then you can see which directories are taking the most space to help decide what to clean.

3. biglebufski

biglebufski Thread Starter

That's great thanks Bob, that'll definitely be useful. Before I get to that stage though I'm just trying to get a printout list of the files and folders on this server. Is this possible on XP I can't find a view to show everything I need.
    Thanks.

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Simple, it would be huge but:

Open a cmd prompt ( start / run / cmd )
    Change to the root of the drive ( cd \ )
    Then enter dir *.* /s /h > files.txt

Then open up files.txt

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217249

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice