1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

product code missing for installation

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Oneoldman, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Oneoldman

Oneoldman Thread Starter

On my Dell dimensiion 2350 I replaced the defective hard drive. win xp had been in use tuill then.. I installed a good condition hard drive, excat replacement... I used the win 98 disk from an older pc and was fortunate in it doing the formatting for me on the hard drive as that chore has always been tough for me.. then the win 98 proceded to install, which was fine, as I had hoped to re install win xp when this installation was successfully completed.. I have trashed the copy of the product code needed for the win 98 to complete installation... how or where can I obtain the needed 5 digit.. actually several panels of 5 digit coded numbers/letters?

Much thanks

Oneoldman

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If the goal is to just have XP installed, you don't need to install Win98 first.

3. Oneoldman

Oneoldman Thread Starter

I'd try the XP disk again but I can't get rid of the screen that has paused in installation of win 98 and asks for the product code...if I could re format the drive again, I'd do that.. but seems I cannot .

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Boot with the XP CD.

Early on during the installation process you are given the option to format the drive.

5. Oneoldman

Oneoldman Thread Starter

The monitor screen stays with that site... can't delete.. can't do anything./.. turn the pc on and the same thing is there...if I could get rid of it, I'd start over and try to get XP to install..again!!!.. the only way to get out of what;'s on the monitor is to perovide the product code.... will check with microsoft Monday when they open up their phones....

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Is the computer configured to boot from a CD?
    Are you able to even boot with your XP CD?

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Go into the BIOS setup and set the boot order so the CDROM drive is listed first, then save the change and exit the BIOS setup.

Insert the Windows XP CD, then reboot.

The computer should boot from the Windows XP CD and you should see a prompt that says Press any key to boot from CD. Press any key before the prompt disappears.

Follow the directions from there.

You'll need to delete the primary C: partition, create a new primary C: partition, then format the hard drive with the NTFS file system.

If the Windows XP CD is a full version copy, it'll do all the work. If it's an upgrade version copy, you'll need to insert the Windows 98 CD when prompted to. Once the Windows 98 CD is recognized, you'll need to re-insert the Windows XP CD when prompted to. The install process will then complete.

Make sure you have the 25-digit product code for the Windows XP CD, and make sure to select C:\WINDOWS as the install location.

No startup floppy disk is needed to format the hard drive and do a fresh install of Windows XP.

Bob Cerelli is the person to listen to when it comes to formatting a hard drive and doing a fresh install of Windows, so follow his advice.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Dell Dimension 2350 supports a maximum of 1024 MB of PC2700/PC3200 RAM. If your computer has less than 512 MB, install more.

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Dimension 2350 Series

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650084

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice