1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Profile problem in Vista

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by GerryBUK, Apr 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GerryBUK

GerryBUK Thread Starter

First Name:
    Gerry
    My daughter has a Fujitsu/Siemens laptop running Vista. When she tries to log on, the machine gets as far as the "select user" icon screen ok, but when she clicks on her own icon the response is that the profile can not be loaded. she has a guest profile which works ok, but obviously this does not give her access to her files. I have tried setting up an administrator account from the guest profile but am prevented from doing this by the system demanding my daughters (non existent) password. As she has been using this machine to store all her photographs, with no external backup, she is desperate to extract and save them. Can you please help me to either repair her profile or somehow extract her saved files.

2. valis

valis Moderator

howdy and welcome. Here's what MS has to say about that, it's pretty straightforward to recreate a profile.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/947215

You can also get the data off of the hard drive by copying it to a usb key, or, if she has a LOT of files, get something like a USB passport drive.

thanks,

v

3. GerryBUK

GerryBUK Thread Starter

First Name:
    Gerry
    Thanks for your prompt reply.
    The problem with copying to a usb stick is that as a guest, I cannot get access to her files without the "password" which has never been set. (catch 22). also, I cannot link her machine to my WI-FI without her administrator password which has never been set. However, I shall clamber up into my loft and hard wire to my router later in the day and try to connect so that I can try your suggested link. Thanks again.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146517

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice