1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Profile Problem with Firefox

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by aussj4link, Apr 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aussj4link

aussj4link Thread Starter

Ok, just today i closed my browser, then remembered i needed to do somthing else on it, so when i tried to restart it, it said that the default profile was unusable because it was all ready being used, which it wasn't, the only way i could get into the browser was to make a new profile, but when i did i lost about 100 bookmarks (duh, different profile i know) and then i went and searched every inch of the browers options and what not trying to find the profile settings, there is none... thats gotta b dumb as hell... so i went to the firefox help page and they said to find the profiles folder and that i would hav to edit it from there, the directory they said it was at did not exist on my comp, so i went to search and tried searching for the folder, nothing... i can not figure out how to go back to the default profile whatsoever, its like it just vanished and now this new profile that im using is my default... i hav never had a single problem with firefox until now... if anyone knows how to get back that profile it would help me greatly, thx.

2. Sponsor

3. aussj4link

OMG, wrong area! my bad! ummm, is there any way to move this?

4. aussj4link

ok i was able to figure out how, i had to open firefox with "firefox.exe -p" to get into the profile manager (y didn't they just make it so that u cuid get into it using the options?). and then i just changed back and got all my bookmarks back, so no prob anymore yay, guess no body knew what to do cuz i never got any replies, but its all good. hopefully future problems will get more replies.

5. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi aussj4link,

I always Exit from Firefox 1.5.0.1 when I am done - I never "Close" the last webpage. This triggers my preference settings to clean my cache, etc. You can set these up as follows:
    Tools pull-down, select Options, click on Privacy tab, click on Settings button.

check: Saved Form Information, Save Passwords, Download History, Cache, and aAuthenticated Sessions, and Clear private data when closing Firefox, click on Ok, the Ok to exit the Options window.

If you Exit instead of Close without these settings, or possibly with these settings when you Close - you might be able to avoid the issue of your profile being used.

One tactic I have used in situations like this that seems to work when I can't seem to relaunch Firefox (for whatever reason) is that since I run the Firefox Preloader, I will kill that process with Windows Task Manager, and then kill the firefox process. Then I seem to always be able to relaunch Firefox without any profile problems, and also by always using Exit instead of Close (but with the preference settings it may work with Close - I just haven't tried it yet).

-- Tom

6. aussj4link

yeah, the other day after closing firefox i went into the task manager to kill anything i could to free up ram because i was gonna play some world of warcraft and on my comp it runs horrible if i dont kill everything i can (i dont exactly make good money so getting upgrades or a new computer is very difficult). anyway, when i went into the task manager it showed firefox was on and was taking up %99 of the cpu, so i tried to kill it and all of the sudden it gave an error but before i could read it my comp shut down on me, but ever since then it hasn't happened.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/456800