1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

profile problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by trssshh, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. trssshh

trssshh Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a computer that was loaded up with problems. I am down to one.

I get the message cannot load user profile logged on with default profile. There is only one user listed on computer.

I can run sfc /scannow and reboot and problem is fixed. Download an update and problem reoccurs.

Any idea?

Thanks,

Sandra

2. trssshh

trssshh Thread Starter

Tried to copy profile to new user and it will not copy. In addition, the error is now present even after running sfc /scannow. You can clik past and use the default profile and the documents and programs work.

But...any help would be appreciated.

3. rebelmusic

rebelmusic

Did your computer come from a business or someplace with an active network?

Is it windows 2000 or xp?

What your describing happens when your computer is configured to work on a network. It's looking for that user on the network, but since you;re not connected it logs in the default profile.

To find this out go to the control Panel.
    Open up "System"
    Under Computer name or network identfication you will see if your computer is part of a domain. If it is, check the box called workgroup and type in whatever you want. That will take your computer off the network it was on, assuming that that's the case

4. Dan O

Dan O

When a profile gets corrupted the best method to correct it is to delete it. Windows will recreate it automatically. To delete it right click My Computer, select Properties, Advanced tab, and Profiles.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!