Profile (W98) just decided to quit. Urgent.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Shlabadoo

I have been using a profile on my W98 computer for a while now and it has given me no problems until this weekend. I started up my computer and typed my password in. It started to load but instead of going to my usual wallpaper and desktop, it loaded the default(it displayed the little msg box with the drum icon saying that it was initializing a profile or something). I logged off of that user and re-entered my name and password only to get the same default settings. This wouldn't be too much of a problem except now I can not use any of my programs because I loaded them into my computer from that profile. (I can't even use word and I have a HUGE term paper due next week:( ). I searched for the files in c:/windows/profiles/"user name" and they are still there, but I guess are not being loaded as my settings anymore. So my question: Can I restore my profile? or could I just remove the profiles and go on with my business? My main concern is the being able to use the programs that I installed in that profile.

The error I get when trying to access a program is something along the lines of " This program is not installed, please run setup from the location where you installed it".

Thank you for any insight
dan

That is a little odd that you can't use those programs because if it is on your computer you should be able to access them from any profile. For now, I would say don't delete your profile yet because you may still be able to get in it and you wouldn't want to start over in putting in your desired settings for your new profile. Have you shut down your computer yet, you shouldn't have these problems when logging into your profile. So, are you saying now when you log into your profile it logs in fine like it really is logging into it but you have the default settings instead?

Shlabadoo

Well see that is just the thing, I SHOULD be able to use these programs. I have restarted many times now, but to no avail.
Here is how it goes: I log in under my regular user name, using my regular password. It lets me in (ie doesn't say it is the wrong password). It then takes me to the default settings: default wallpaper/sounds/desktop etc, whereas usually i would have my personal wallpaper/sounds/desktop. When I go to the start bar it has: "log off 'user name' ", not just "Log off..." as does the default.
It is now my understanding that unless you have loaded the program in the highest "level" in the profile hierchy (ie the default profile) the program can only be accessed by the user that loaded it. But what can I do about this?
*sigh*

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online