1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Program Association Error

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by stay1234, Jan 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stay1234

stay1234 Thread Starter

Periodically when trying to open some files I get an error message that reads:

"The file does not have a program association with it for performing this action. Create an association in My Computer by clicking View and then clicking Folder Options".

This is probably a dumb question but how does one determine which "file type" to select?

For the past couple of days a windows desktop icon appears and when I click on it I get the following error message:

C:\WINDOWS \DESKTOP\CUSTOM.DIC
    "The file does not have a program assocation . . . . . . Create an association in My Computer . . . . blah, blah, blah.

I don't have a clue why or what I am doing that is causing me to keep getting this error message. I have had this same type error come up when receiving mail with attachments (NSTEMP files). I never could open them and didn't know how to determine what program I should use to open it with, so I always deleted them.

Thanks for any help!

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You may need some further help, but for starters determine what the three letter extension is and look it up at a site like this:

http://whatis.techtarget.com/fileFormatA/0,289933,sid9,00.html

It will tell you what the "default" program that uses the file usually is. You may not have that program, but there may be others which can open it -- here you'll have to ask.

It's looking like that one is for Lotus Notes; you probably would need to have that installed, but perhaps someone else knows differently. You could try opening it in Wordpad or Word or even Notepad.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!