1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Program file as email attachment--how?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Narnie, Feb 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Narnie

Narnie Thread Starter

Hi, I want to send my resume as an attachment to an email. The problem is that the resume was done in a special resume program, and the extention is .res, and it's called a program file. I attached it to the email, and sent it to myself to test it. I wasn't able to open it. I don't want to send a resume that can't be opened. The resume doesn't appear able to be copied and pasted, unless there is a special way to do it. Can anyone help with this? I would like to be able to send the resume and have the recipient be able to open it. I have AOL, and I don't know what type of email the recipient has. Is there a way to copy and paste this using a different method? Thank you!

2. steamwiz

steamwiz

HI Narnie

Zip the file first - then send it ? might work

steam

3. Narnie

Narnie Thread Starter

Thanks for your response. How do I zip it? Do I need a program for that? So you are saying that I can send a program file by "zipping" it, and then the recipient will be able to open it with no problems? Would they have to download it then? Thank you.

4. steamwiz

steamwiz

you need a program like winzip to zip (compress) the file - some file types cant be sent as attachments, by zipping them they can - the person at the other end just unzips the file you send, and then they have the original file which you zipped.

I have never heard of a .res file but i don't see why it should not work

Get winzip from here - download the "evaluation" version - it never runs out

http://themes.myqth.com/Programs.htm

steam

5. Jeckler

Jeckler

Even if you were able to zip the file and send it, if you wrote the resume in a special program, the chances the recipient has the same program are slim to none. Most employers require resumes in plain text or in Microsoft Word format. You'd be shooting yourself in the foot if you send your resume in an unreadable format.

6. Moby

Moby

Zipping the file won't make it open easier. It doesn't matter what type of e-mail client the receiver has either. A .res file is a resource file used by various programs. Unless the recipient has the same program you created it in (which is very unlikely) then they won't be able to open it.
    How is the cv made up? Is it all text? Have you tried opening it with word? Can you highlight the whole page, right click, copy, then paste onto a blank word document?
    For e-mailing cv's as someone has said, it's best in word. Almost everyone will have that.
    Try opening it in word to see what it makes of it. If it looks ok or is editable save it as a word doc.
    Do you have a scanner? Most scanners now can scan directly into word using an ocr (optical character recognitio program. Could you scan a printed off doc into word? This may not work so well if the cv is in some sort of form format.

7. steamwiz

steamwiz

The way I read this, Narnie sent the file to herself in this form and it became corrupted, I never said zipping the file would make it open easier, I suggested zipping it to protect the file - I assumed the person at the other end would have the program to run it once it was unzipped

steam

8. Moby

Moby

Yes steam, no worries, but Narnie read it as if it would make his/her .res file openable by anyone.
    As I said no worries.
    Cold enough for you up there in Yorkshire?
    :)

9. steamwiz

steamwiz

Moby
    Yes thanks, we have a very bracing (biting) wind coming off the North sea (brass monkey weather) but no snow I think you've been getting that :D

Narnie
    I agee with Moby that it would probably have been better to write the resume in "Word" - however if the program you used is not too big, maybe you could send it with your resume (I'm assuming it's a small free utility)

steam

10. Narnie

Narnie Thread Starter

Thank you all for your valuable input. It is true that I read the reply as that if I zipped the file and sent it that way, anyone could read it. That's due to my lack of computer knowledge. I think zipping is above my level of expertise at this point, anyway. The resume program was a paid one (5.00!) I bought years ago, and only recently found in my junk room and used. I didn't know there was free resume software available, I will have to investigate that. It made a nice resume, and was fine when mailing or faxing, but this person wanted an emailed version. Anyway, I was not able to copy the document using the methods that I tried. Then I tried saving the resume as a word document, but when it was opened it was all symbols. I knew there had to be a way to do what I needed to do, but I didn't know what it was.Though doing a Google search and trying to get ideas, I saw the word "export" which made me realize maybe that would work, although I 'd never done it. So after hours, literally of trying different methods, I went to the program, and saw an export button, so I was able to export it to the word processor in the resume program, then copied it to Microsoft Word, attached it to the email, sent it to myself to test, and it looked great! When I have more time I am going to try to learn how to export it right into Microsoft Word. So I was able to achieve my goal, albeit in an inefficient manner, and I learned a lot through the process. That by itself, is invaluable. Thank you, Moby for clearing up what the .res extension meant. I was really puzzling about that, and thought it stood for resume. But what do you mean by "cv" I am not familiar with that term. Thanks to all who took the time to help!

11. Moby

Moby

Sorry Narnie didn't check the post back to see if you'd said resume or cv.
    In America (and maybe others) - resume
    In UK - Curriculum Vitae (cv) latin, don't ask, I don't know why?:)
    Both the same thing though.
    Good luck.
    :)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116996

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice