1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Program files folder in two directories

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by holymoly, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. holymoly

holymoly Thread Starter

I have two hard drives, one is 200GB the so-called main one I am currently using and the older is the smaller 40GB drive.

The issue is I have many of the same programs on the smaller drive as on the newer bigger drive. If I uninstall the those from the older drive, will it affect the newer installations on the main drive.

Will a "delete" be all that is necessary?

2. Pollex

Pollex

Check your Add/Remove programs Control Pannel to see if you have multiple versions showing installed there.

Also, you could right click on one of the programs in each directory and check to make sure that the link to the file is, or is not, referring to the same file. One of the two may just be shortcuts.

If you are referring to system files, just make sure that you would only remove the files that are on the drive that do not contain your OS.

3. holymoly

holymoly Thread Starter

Thanks and I cannot see any duplicate files.

what now ?

4. Pollex

Pollex

Are these system files? If so this could be trickier then what I am about to suggest. Keep this in mind.

If these other programs are just normal applications not used to run your OS proceed with the following:

Open one program (one that you would normally open/choose that has a duplicate), then try to rename the other one (not the one you opened).

If you are unable to rename the second file, they are somehow the same. I highly doubt that they will be the same, and you should be able to rename the file.

I would then proceed to check any of the files that you will be deleting, and make sure that your "favorites", virus databases, logs, mail, addresses, etc are all exported from those versions. You can check to make sure you have all the files you need in the versions that you use (the ones you will be keeping) before you delete.

You pretty much nailed it right on the head with your original post, but it is always good to be certain.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!