1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Program Files

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by donsor, Feb 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. donsor

donsor Thread Starter

I've noticed that I have two program files. One just states Program Files and the other Program Files (X86). I believe that the one with (x86) pertains to the Win7 64 Bit however, is the other program file necessary? Since I have Win7 Ultimate 64 Bit don't you think that all files and folders should go to it?

2. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    program files (x86) contains all programs on your computer that are 32-bit programs. program files contains all programs on your computer that are 64-bit programs.

3. donsor

donsor Thread Starter

You must have meant Program Files (x86) is for 64 bit and plain Program Files is for 32, correct?

4. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    No. 64-bit systems recognize 64 bit programs as regular programs, because it is meant for 64 bit programs. (x86) are 32-bit programs. They are in a way "foreign" if you want to think about it that way. It can run 32 bit, because it is compatible to work that way, but 64 bit are the "better" programs to run if you have a 64 bit system. Make sense?

5. donsor

donsor Thread Starter

I have the Microsoft Flight Simulator FSX loaded to my PC with Win7 Ultimate 64-bit. This program is several years old so I suppose it is a 32 bit program but I don't know. I've got it loaded in both the regular Program Files and the Program File (x86). So I suppose I could just delete the FSX program in Program Files (x86). What do you think?

6. Rearden

Rearden Banned

If it's not a 64-bit program, the files are in Program Files (x86). Regardless, you shouldn't delete either folder or files from either folder.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Never delete anything from Program Files. There is rarely ever any reason to even be in that folder. It is a system folder and you can ruin the machine.

You need both folders. There are many 32-bit programs on almost all 64-bit machines.

Programs in Program Files should be uninstalled if you don't want them any longer, through the Control Panel.

Why are you even messing around in those folders at all?

8. donsor

donsor Thread Starter

If you don't mind me asking questions I just want to learn.

9. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    Yes, I agree with both rearden and elvandil that you should not delete anything in either of these folders. I'm not sure why these program is in both folders, though. With having a 64-bit OS, you typically want to get the 64-bit versions of programs if possible, because they will run much better than a 32-bit version of the program. If you want to figure out why they are in both, you could try completely uninstalling the program, then reinstall the 64-bit version, and then it should only be in the Program Files and not in both. I guess it is possible for parts of the program to require 32-bit, but I don't see why it would be that way.

10. donsor

donsor Thread Starter

The program in question is the MS Flight Simulator X. When I had it loaded in both previous PCs which had WinXP 32-Bit OS it only appeared under a single program file. But I loaded it in my new PC which has the Win7 Ultimate 64-Bit, the game appeared in the standard Program File but the hard drive (D:\) showed two program files which included the Program File (x86). I don't know if the game is a 32-bit or a 64-bit file. Nonetheless, the FSX game works fine. Once I know if it is a 32-bit or a 64-bit program, I'll load it accordingly. The FSX Acceleration flight sim game has been around for several years and I had it running with the WinXP 32-bit OS.

11. Rearden

Rearden Banned

Windows XP is a 32-bit operating system (there is a 64-bit version but few people have it), so you would only have one Program Files folder. That's normal.

I do have a question based on your last post. Are you saying that there's a folder for MS Flight Simulator X in both the Program Files folder and the Program Files (x86) folder? That would seem unlikely.

The fact that your computer has both a Program Files and Program Files (x86) folder is completely normal and expected.

12. donsor

donsor Thread Starter

The hard drive (D:\) when the OS was loaded showed two program files, the standard "Program File" and the "Program File (x86). When I first loaded the FSX, it appeared in the standard "Program File" but then i read and instruction from a website showing the path D:\Program Files (x86)\MICROSOFT GAMES\Flight Simulator X so I decided to copy the program to the (x86). The game is working fine but there is about 15 Gb that I can save if I delete one of the FSX programs. Or just leave it as is.

13. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    Ah. Since you directly copied the files to the x86 folder, I'm sure you could delete it. Don't do that just yet though. Why did you copy it in the first place? Was the game not working or you just did it because of the instructions even though it was working fine?

14. donsor

donsor Thread Starter

The game was and is still working fine. I copied it tp the (x86) because of an instruction I read associated with my problem loading Megascenery X SoCal. I was suspecting that the reason I could not load the Megascenery X was because I had the FSX loaded in the wrong program file. But I guess that was not the case.

15. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    Yeah. You can definitely delete it in my opinion. Save you the 15gb. You must have been looking at instructions regarding the 32-bit version on a 64-bit system. You have the 64-bit version on 64-bit system. Just in case things get screwy, though, I would create a restore point before deleting the files. In case you don't know how to do that, here's a link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Create-a-restore-point

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087975

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice