Program for Maximum Compression

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

soggycrouton

I have a lot of videos files on my computer that I don't frequently use, so I'd like to archive them so as to not waste space. What's the best compression program that'll really get the file size down, never mind the length of time to compress/decompress?

Thanks.

soggycrouton said:
I have a lot of videos files on my computer that I don't frequently use, so I'd like to archive them so as to not waste space. What's the best compression program that'll really get the file size down, never mind the length of time to compress/decompress?

Thanks.
Well, you can't really compress video too much and retain the quality. Your best bet would be to move them off the HD by burning them to either CD or DVD. You could use zip or rar or such, but they won't get much smaller.

soggycrouton said:

Thanks.
Hi soggycrouton,

I agree with Deathblow's compression comments.

However, the very best compression tool I know of is 7-zip, you can try it from here:
http://www.7-zip.org/download.html

-- Tom

soggycrouton

Deathblow said:
Well, you can't really compress video too much and retain the quality. Your best bet would be to move them off the HD by burning them to either CD or DVD. You could use zip or rar or such, but they won't get much smaller.
Hmm... darn. You were right about RAR, it hardly shrank the size at all. I was hoping there was some sort of ridiculous compression program that really packed them in... guess not.

lotuseclat79 said:
Hi soggycrouton,

I agree with Deathblow's compression comments.

However, the very best compression tool I know of is 7-zip, you can try it from here:
http://www.7-zip.org/download.html

-- Tom
Okay, I'll try that, thanks.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online