1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Program freezing.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by RonT22, Mar 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RonT22

RonT22 Thread Starter

I'm using Windows Vista on an HP Pavilion110n PC My screen freezes alot it seems lately. I'm using Internet Explorer. Don't recall right off hand ,but pretty sure it's the latest edition. I'll be in the middle of doing something and it will just freeze up. It will however let me go to start so I can log off. Then when I log back on it will work until the next freeze. Very frustrating. I've run a program called Reimage to repair files and such twice and that hasn't helped. That's all I've done besides running a Norton scan for a virus. All it found were a couple I can't remember what they were called, but the threats were Low and it said they were removed or they took care of them. Anyway that didn't stop my problem. RonT22

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

What "freezes" if you're able to click on the Start button? If Windows froze or locked up, you wouldn't be able to click on anything. So is the problem with Internet Explorer?

3. RonT22

RonT22 Thread Starter

Well ,okay .All the same information I already gave and the problem is in Internet Explorer. All I know is when trying to click on things in a program it's not letting me continue and the only way I can get anywhere or even close the program is to log off. So again I say it's the Explorer. Any solutions?

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I'm just trying to get an understanding of the problem. If all of Windows were locked up, you wouldn't be able to click on the Start button. So is the problem just with Internet Explorer? That's the only program that stops responding? You can open any other program? Including another browser?

5. RonT22

RonT22 Thread Starter

Internet Explorer is the only browser I have I think. Can't open any other programs until I log off and then on again.So I guess the Explorer is the problem.

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

So you click on Start -> All Programs -> Notepad, and it doesn't open? Are you "in the middle of doing something" with Internet Explorer when you suddenly can't click on Internet Explorer? You can't open your documents folder, for example?

Just to clarify, Internet Explorer is a web browser and a program. Explorer can refer both to the web browser and the Windows interface. It's an ambiguous term.

What add-ons do you have enabled for Internet Explorer 9?
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/How-to-manage-add-ons-in-Internet-Explorer-9

7. RonT22

RonT22 Thread Starter

I can click on start, all programs, then I can click on any program and open it. Sometimes when I am in the middle of doing something on the program and want to change something and click say edit it won't do anything. So if I just decide to close the program and click on close or the x nothing happens. I have to go to start and go to restart or logoff section to get out. AS for add-ons I guess it would be shockwave flash, adobe pdf reader google toolbbar, the toolbar helper. Something called Discuss, also Research, and send to one note. RonT22. It just did it when I tried to move the page up with the mouse. Then it suddenly unfroze and the page went up and down fast.

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Ok. Backup.
    Where are you clicking on "edit" in Internet Explorer?

Read the info at the link I posted to see exactly what add-ons are installed, and list them here.

9. RonT22

RonT22 Thread Starter

Internet Explorer is my browser correct? I'm clicking on edit right under my post to you to correct spelling and nothing happened, it wouldn't go back so I could make changes, couldn't move the page up and down,etc. I told you what the add-ons were, Google toolbar, the google tbar helper,Discuss, Research,and send to one note. Before you ask , I have no idea what those last three are, and I'm not seeing the link you posted about add-ons.I have to use my browser to get to Tech Support Guys, correct? My browser is Internet Explorer , so things are freezing as I'm using IE.

10. Mklangelo

Mklangelo Banned

Restart, then uninstall IE. Then download and install Firefox.

Run that and let us know how that goes. IE is crap on a stick.

Uninstalling IE can be a pain because once uninstalled, it can revert to the installed version prior to the one you uninstall.

Fun from your friends in Seattle. lol:confused:

Try this page: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

I hope that helps.

11. RonT22

RonT22 Thread Starter

Do you mean Mozzilla FireFox Browser? Can I download it before I uninstall IE?

12. Mklangelo

Mklangelo Banned

13. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

DO NOT attempt to uninstall Internet Explorer. It's part of Windows. Any attempt to remove it involves hacking at the core of the operating system. You need Internet Explorer for plenty of things that Microsoft just doesn't allow to work with other browsers.

I believe there are better browsers out there, but that wasn't the poster's question. I think it's probably an add-on problem, but I'm not getting a clear enough picture of the problem to be able to help.

14. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

First of all, if you can click and run other things while Internet Explorer is frozen, there's absolutely no reason to restart your computer. Simply call the Task Manager (CTRL+ALT+DEL) and kill the iexplore.exe process.

Try Running IE Without Add-ons and see if that stops IE from freezing. If it's not freezing anymore, you'll need to isolate the faulty add-on. You cannot stay in that mode indefinitely. You'll need the add-ons eventually.

15. Mklangelo

Mklangelo Banned

Ya, gotta love them boys in Seattle. "You WILL use our browser, whether you want to or not."

If Mac or Linux supported the software I like to use, I would switch in a heartbeat and never look back...

:mad:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!