1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Program hangs

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by hughesd1, Dec 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hughesd1

hughesd1 Thread Starter

I'm running Win 95 on a Cyrix P166 with 32Mb Ram and 2.1Gb hard drive. (OK, so I want to update soon, but the box has served us well).
    I have never had too many problems, except recently when it has started to hang, particulalry on one program; Printmaster Deluxe 7.0 .
    It may be connected to the fact we collected two viruses recently, but we were also away for a month and I'm not sure what was run and deleted while we were away. The viruses were SirCam and Win32.Badtrans.29020. We only found them after updating the virus checker (Inoculate) which then cleaned them off. I also downloaded and ran the repair utility for files which Badtrans affects.
    So almost all programs run fine, except PrintMaster which hangs when I try to load previous work which had run OK. Printmaster had run fine for about 12 months.
    Sometimes if I wait long enough (about 60 seconds) it will progress to the next step, but eventually it stops permanently.
    At the same time if I look at System Monitor the Kernel: Processor Usage is running at 100% all the time.
    I also have only about 150Mb of hard disk left.
    I am at a loss as to how to check anything because most programs run fine.

Have you got any good ideas?

TIA

Brett
    :D

2. columbo

columbo

Hi,

So other than PrintMaster, you have no other performance issues? As in, your computer doesn't run sluggishly until you start up that specific program? If this is the case, then have you tried or considered removing, then re-installing the PrintMaster software? When you've localized a problem to one particular program, one of the best (and often only) solutions is to remove and re-install.

Give it a try, and post back with your results.

:)

3. hughesd1

hughesd1 Thread Starter

Columbo,

Thanks for your help.

Yes, I've reinstalled the program with no change.
    It once came up with a Registry Error of some description, but I haven't seen it again.

I could try to replace the registry because I have a back up only a couple of months old.

TIA.

Brett
    :D

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!