1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Program Installation Disappears

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Jackinthbox, Jan 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jackinthbox

Jackinthbox Thread Starter

I am running a new Dell laptop with Windows 8. This problem seems to be mostly with games, but not all games, and one or two non-game programs as well.

I open the .exe file or whatever installer as directed. I have tried opening the file manually, or just let it run with the standard install steps for the program. But after a few seconds, the installation process just vanishes.

Sometimes I will go ahead and click install, and see the bar begin to load the installation, then vanish. It's not running in the background. Or, if I just leave the message window open for 5 to 10 seconds without actually clicking the install key, it will still vanish. I have never seen anything like this. The programs run on my other older laptop and install just fine. I have been searching for days for an answer online, but to no avail.

The program I tried to install tonight was an ISO image of a game that I own. This unit does not have a disc drive though, so I had to create the image on my old computer, to install on my new unit without the disc. Other programs that fail to install and vaporize when I try to run them have been legit downloads not pirateware.

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Is it designed to run under Windows 8??

3. Jackinthbox

At least two of the programs are specifically stated to be Windows 8 compatible. And again, this is hasn't really been a playability issue or anything. Even with an incompatible OS I have always been able to install the program, even if it didn't run successfully afterward. The installation process itself just vaporizes after a few seconds. No error message or anything. No freezing, no blank screen. The smaller installation status screen just disappears as if it was sent to the background, but it's not there either.

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

I don't have Windows 8 so I cannot comment further.

5. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    16 bit programs will NOT install in Windows 7 or 8.

It just may help, if you were to list these programs and what versions they are?

6. Jackinthbox

Tropico 5 is one example of a game that would not install. But when I installed it on my other unit and just transferred the whole folder over, it runs fine on the new unit.

I have also tried to install a few non-game programs that are a download, and they don't take either. BitLord was one of them. (I only use that in a legal manner of course.)

7. Jackinthbox

I was able to install an old game, Gangsters 2 without a problem.

8. Jackinthbox

No ideas huh? Tried to install some software for my phone today, none of that worked either. Again, just disappeared about 5 seconds after installation began.

9. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    What kind of user account do you have one this machine, Standard or Admin?

10. Jackinthbox

Admin account. I have tried to run the file as admin, no luck, still vaporizes after a few seconds.

11. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    "BitLord is a p2p "

Sorry no more help from me.
    See site rules.

12. Jackinthbox

Well I am not asking how to use the program illegally. Just wondering why some programs are not installing. And no, the programs are not illegal downloads, pirateware or anything like that. I am trying to put the programs from my old unit onto my new one, but I don't have a disc drive on the new one.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1140897

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice