1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Program Installation problem

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by hoggyland, Oct 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hoggyland

hoggyland Thread Starter

Hi

I have had to download an update from my ISP and and managed to save it to my hard-drive. However, when trying to install the update the setup stalls at a point where Windows Installer is supposed to open ie 'launching Windows Installer'. The setup freezes at this point.

I have been in contact with my ISP and they say there is no fault with the download. I have tried to install the update with only limited programs running in the background without success.

I have managed to install this update on my separate Laptop without a problem. This runs Windows 98

Can anyone suggest what might be going wrong.

I have Windows ME running. with plenty of spare capacity and 256 Ram

I have tried limiting my start-up files to

Scan Registry and System Tray and that has not helped

I have posted this message in another thread but have had very limited responce (one person), please forgive me if I have done wrong by posting it again

2. EvileYe

EvileYe

3. hoggyland

hoggyland Thread Starter

Hi EvileYe

Many thanks for the suggestion. The link you gave me did not work, but I went into Microsoft .com and did a search on windows installer and downloaded Windows Installer 2 and installed it onto my hard drive. Sadly, my installation of the update still stops at the point where it says 'launching windows installer'. It could be of course that what I downloaded from Microsoft was not what you had in mind. Thanks for your help

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Can you try to install the update in safe mode?

5. hoggyland

hoggyland Thread Starter

Hi AcaCandy

Thanks for your reply. Starting Windows in the Safe Mode was suggested to me in a thread I started in another section of Tech Support previously. I did try to do this and accessed Safe Mode by pressing the F8 button on my keyboard. However, on entering Safe Mode I was taken to the Windows help page and for some reason my mouse was not working and I could not navigate out of that page so that I could try downloading the update.

I did not get a reply telling me what caused this and what to do to overcome the mouse problem, so I gave up on the idea.

I do think that doing what you suggested may well overcome the problem with installing the update, but like I said before I have only a limited number of things on my startup settings at the moment so it may not help. If you can suggest how I can overcome the mouse problem I experienced on the Safe Mode I am only to willing to give it another try. Thanks again.

6. ~Candy~

The update is already downloaded correct? In safe mode you won't have access to some of your devices, but the mouse should work. Is it USB per chance? If so, I think you have to access your bios setup and be sure legacy USB support is enabled there.

7. hoggyland

hoggyland Thread Starter

Hi AcaCandy

The update exe application has been downloaded from my ISP onto my PC, but I cannot install/activate the update. I hope you understand, please forgive me if I am a bit unclear.

Yes, it is a cordless mouse with the control unit attached by USB.

Regarding accessing my BIOS, that scares me I am not that proficient. Now I am really in the doldrums.

8. ~Candy~

I'm not sure that type of mouse will work in safe mode then. You may have to attach a normal mouse.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170941

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice