1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Program like PageDefrag

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Beta19, Aug 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Beta19

Beta19 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Adam
    I am not sure that SysInternals PageDefrag will run on Windows Vista so, is there a program like it that will?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Most commercial defraggers have a boot-time function, as well as some free ones.

Free defraggers:

Swift Disk Defrag
    IObit Smart Defrag (Schedule and boot defrag.)
    Defraggler
    Auslogics Disk Defrag
    DefragNT
    WinContig
    Ultra Defragmenter
    Defrag GUI (GUI for native defrag.exe.)
    DIRMS 1.2.20 Defragger (command-line)
    JKDefragGUI
    Disk Idle Optimizer
    Power Defragmenter
    Diskeeper Lite
    O&O Defrag 2000 Freeware
    DefragMentor Lite (Boot-time and command-line.)

(PageDefrag is good to use with all the above in XP. It does a boot-time defrag of all the major locked files.)

I know of no other one that does just boot-time, like PageDefrag.

3. Beta19

Beta19 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Adam
    Do you think that PageDefrag would work in Vista? I use Auslogics Disk Defrag, does it have a boot time function, because I can't find it?

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Auslogics doesn't have one. I tried PageDefrag in Vista. It doesn't even detect the locations of the files it is supposed to defrag.

I use Paragon Total Defrag from a boot CD about once a month. It defrags everything, of course, because Windows is not running. It has few options, but you can order files according to last modification date. Offline defragging is too much trouble for most people, but can be done from any boot CD with a defragger, like UBCD4Win. But many defraggers are not compatible with Vista's shadow copies. I don't recommend turning off shadow copies for most people since it makes a copy of any file that is deleted or moved (which is actually a deletion), and can therefore recover important, lost documents. But I don't use it myself.

Given that defragging may not be necessary at all any more, I can't recommend to people that they go to too much trouble. But I still defrag from time to time, maybe once a month.

5. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

PageDefrag sort of runs in Vista. It won't show the files in the GUI, but if you select to defrag at next boot it does run. None of my files are fragmented so I can't confirm if it will actually defrag them but it does seem to run.

6. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

7. Beta19

Beta19 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Adam
  8. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

Yes, they will each have their own drive letter.

9. Beta19

Beta19 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Adam
    So, I could move the pagefile from one partition to another as if the other partition was like a completely seperate physical drive?

10. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

Pretty much, but not recommended. It will be slower.

Think of old style vinyl albums. Every song is a partition. Page file on another partition means the needle has to travel further to get to the page file then back to where it is working with the OS.

11. Beta19

Beta19 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Adam
    So, since i have only one physical drive, the method that Mumbodog suggested would not for me?

12. Kazooka

Kazooka

Can anyone tell me why when i go into a game when i hit alt tab i get to the desktop and try to go back the program becomes unresponsive?

13. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

@ Kazooka.
    Please don't triple post, as it's against the Rules, which you should review.
    Posting into another totally unrelated thread will not help solve your issue.

Stick with your original Post:
    http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista-7/852186-progarm-becomes-unresponisve-when-pressing.html
    Another Duplicate here
    http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista-7/852150-i-cant-share-my-files.html

Yes it will work. The whole point is to remove the page file from the drive you want to defragment so it won't get in the way. It's only moved temporarily.

You remove it
    Defrag
    Put it back. It will be re-created as one unfragmented file.

If you just have one partition you could just set your system to not use a page file at all, then defrag, then turn the page file back on

14. Beta19

Beta19 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Adam
    Oh, ok, I didn't think of that. I guess that is what you guy are for! If it weren't for your help, I would be bald and drooling somewhere with smoke and sparks coming from my ears!!

Thanks.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/851526

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice