1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

program otto

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by c.c.1957, Mar 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. c.c.1957

c.c.1957 Thread Starter

Does anyone know if this is a bad program? I had a browser
    called orbit take over my browser and I am more or less shut down and can't get online. I did print out instructions for the
    Ad-Aware 6 personal builder that I will have to do to get out of
    this mess. Still don't know if they loaded any other programs
    to screw me up more. Haven't had a chance to check it out.
    Any imput is deeply appreciated.:( :(

2. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

If you're worried about malicous programs of any sort then you should get a spyware checker, a virus scanner, and a firewall. All these programs need to kept up-to-date via update downloads within each program or new versions.

For spyware use both Adaware, and Spybot. Both can be downloaded from www.downloads.com . You need to update then regulary with the Update feature in each program and do scans. You can fix all problems they find.

For a free virus scanner try AVG from www.grisoft.com Rememeber to keep it up-to-date as well. You can aslo do fee online scans at www.symantec.com and www.trend.com

For a free firewall try ZoneAlarm from www.zonelabs.com to stop people or some viruses from attacking your computer.

For manually cleaning of some problems you can use Hijackthis downloadable from http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html be carefully what you remove with this program. Its best to just create the log and post it here for recommendations about anything you are not 100% sure about.

3. Flrman1

Flrman1

Hi c.c.1957

Welcome to TSG! :)

I am moving this to the Security forum.

4. Flrman1

Flrman1

Please do this. Click here to download Hijack This. Un Zip it and click on the Hijackthis.exe.

Click the "Scan" button when the scan is finished the scan button will become "Save Log" click that and save the log.

Go to where you saved the log and click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" then Paste the log back here in a reply.

DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required. Someone here will be glad to advise you on what to fix.

*Note: When you download Hijack This Do Not download it or UnZip it to a temp folder or to the desktop. Create a permanent folder somewhere like in My Documents and name it Hijack This and put it in that folder.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/211303