1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Program Problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by artichoke, Oct 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. artichoke

artichoke Thread Starter

i can't open anything in windows cause all the shortcuts are messed up and practically no program will open because "rundll32.exe cannot find what program was used to create it"

Anyone who has technical skills know how to fix this without formatting?

Correction, I didn't lose any files, but no programs can be opened (when I say programs, I don't just mean like flash, internet explorer, aim, etc). Practically nothing opens, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Emtronics

Emtronics

Welcome to TSG! Looks like you may have the Klez32 Worm or some virus. Scan your system with an up-to-date anti-virus program.

3. artichoke

artichoke Thread Starter

No see, the problem is, I think something happened to my registry. I tried to fix my pre-installed Windows XP, and after that I tested winamp by doing "open with...." and choosing winamp.exe and it's worked. But I mean, all of my .exe files are showing up as blank, like as in they don't know which program to use. I can't just do that to every single one, it'd take forever. Is there a simpler way to fix this? Also, I can't get into my System portion of My Computer to go to the system restore thing that would set Windows back before the registry got changed.

4. BillC

BillC

Hey Artichoke,

I'd do what Emtronics suggested. Research on the Klez32 virus shows:
    There is a go Symantec Security Response page. And if you do not have an antivirus program, try the free online scan at Trend Micro's Housecall

I'm thinking like Emtronics, you have a virus problem and not a registry problem. Things just don't happen to the registry, viruses cause them a lot of the time.

Anyway, that's my view.

5. Emtronics

Emtronics

If you did a re-association of your .exe files, then you got a screw up going. Try System Restore, and restore to a point back BEFORE you did this. If that don't work, the the Recovery CD is next. Otherwise, that Klez32 worm makes things act exactly as you describe. Check for the virus first.

6. artichoke

artichoke Thread Starter

i'd do what you described, but I can't because I can't get to the system restore option. It says the link is gone, also I already tried repairing the files using the Windows XP cd. Is there anyway to do a system restore in dos?

7. artichoke

artichoke Thread Starter

Okay, I'm trying to fix the file associations myself by using the registry, but it says to find the file that created REGEDIT.exe and I go to C:\WIndows\Regedit.exe and choose it, but it says this

Are you sure you want to add the information in C:\WINDOWS\REGEDIT.exe?

Registry Editor
    Cannot import C:\WINDOWS\REGEDIT.exe: The specified file is not a registered script. You can only import binary registry files from within the registry editor.

8. Emtronics

Emtronics

regedit is a program that edits the registry. To fix file association you should go to Windows Explorer, then to Tools and then Folder Options. Choose the File Type tab. You can re-asscoiate files there. If you can that is

9. artichoke

artichoke Thread Starter

Yes that's what I"m trying right now, thank you. But I don't really get what to do. Every single program doesn't open unless I do it manually. Do you know if there are any programs I can download off the internet or any applications that will reset the associations to their defaults?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!