1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Program runs in one user account, not the other (both admin)

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by scamp53, Aug 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scamp53

scamp53 Thread Starter

Hi
    Using evaluation copy of NetTerm 5.4.2.1 (as terminal emulator) which is meant to run ok under Win7 (earlier versions not). We only have two Win7 Pro machines (rest XP). One machine OK.
    On the other, NetTerm runs ok in the account Install (administrator) but not in account User (administrator).

In account User it immediately minimizes to taskbar and won't run. I've tried changing properties from running in 'normal window' to 'run maximized'. The program will then display full screen but still won't connect to LAN.
    In account Install it runs as expected and gives a login prompt immediately.
    The other Win7 machine happily runs the program using same installation process.

Our first priority is to find out why that's happening (Install is only meant for distributing software from server) but we also have an issue with the 'working' version. The program if left for a few minutes with no activity or if re-entered after a 'switch user' immediately crashes out (leaving us with software locks and various other nasties).

NetTerm's response was that 'it has not been installed correctly'. We've uninstalled and reinstalled numerous times without success.

Thanks in anticipation

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Was it installed for ALL users, as some programs ask up front if it is to be used by all users?

3. scamp53

scamp53 Thread Starter

Hi - for reasons I don't understand, the problem was that it HAD been installed for all users. I had tried install to all users from both user accounts with the same result.
    I finally tried installing to just the single user account and it worked straight away.

2nd part of the problem (which I'm trying to deal with now) is that if focus is switched to another application and this app left unattended for 2 - 3 minutes, the program freezes for approx twenty seconds after re-activating then crashes. This behaviour is specific to this Win7 PC. We have many other PCs running same app without the issue (including another Win7 PC).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/946840

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice